Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Toothy" textured paper - what are my printing options?

Hi all, I'm a newbie having problems printing on a matte, textured paper. With my inkjet the images look great, but with a laser printer the color doesn't saturate the paper, so my images look splotchy. Unfortunately, I need to print on 11x17, and my inkjet doesn't take paper that size. Would offset printing solve this problem? I'd ask a professional printer, but sometimes I feel like they're more interested in getting my business than providing an honest answer. If you have any specific print companies you'd suggest (I'm in New York City), I'd greatly appreciate it! Oh, and this is for my portfolio, so I don't have that many pages.

Thank you in advance!

Offset prints on textured paper very well. But you need to make plates so you need to print thousands of your piece to make it worth the $$. It's not viable for a portfolio only piece.

As it's just a one off, find a place that does large format inket printing. It'll cost around $20-$50 a page. Do some ringing around for prices for printing onto textured paper and visit the shop and ask to see the quality of what they have printed on their machine before you part with your money. Some places will let you bring in your own paper to print on so also enquire about that when phone around.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

the problem your having is typical for toner based machines. they cant 'get in' the texture really if its a really deep texture, or if its really tight. since toner is basically a 'film' that is fused to the paper using electrostatic, your chances are slim of getting a textured paper to print nicely. with offset it will look amazing. However they do make textured paper for toner machines, they arent a 'texturey' as others but sometimes a nice compromise. since your in new york, check out xpedx they might be near you. they have a few locations near me (upstate ny) and they let people go in and take samples, and will help you find exactly what you are looking for based off of your printer. also pretty much any good printer will let you bring in your own stock.

i like budas idea of contacting a large format printer. i would also consider contacting a printing school. near me is RIT, so i may just be spoiled, but i know they will do 1 offs for the community. you do pay a pretty penny tho for it!

good luck!
      Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing.
      - Randy K. Milholland

Comment

I had to print poster sized prints onto textured paper a few years ago for my company. The solution is exactly what buda says--large format printers. Be sure to explain the situation to them first. Many don't want to print onto papers other than what is approved paper for the printer, but a reasonable number are willing to try, and that number has probably increased with the current economy. If possible, you might send them a sample of your paper. When I did this, I called places all around the country. There are oodles of companies willing to price cheaply and then mail it.

Comment

The latest Xerox 700 or Oce 9000 (big laser printer/copiers) will definitely print on textured paper. The Oce especially. Try at digital printers/big copy shops.

Comment

By the way, we have an A1 inkjet printer and we will print on paper that people bring in at their own risk. We can't guarantee it will look good. Some papers will cause the ink to smear, dry back etc. There's no way of knowing until you try it out.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
            Working...
            X