Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Is salary.com et al full of shit?
    <b>
    I was pretty much going to write what PrintDriver already wrote, so I'll just agree with him instead.

In addition, there's also a tendency for some people to inflate things a bit when they're...
    Today, 01:45 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Is salary.com et al full of shit?
    PrintDriver
    What are your education and skill levels?

Remember the salaries listed at salaries.com and even aiga.org are based on respondents to surveys. Quite often you will find with surveys that people...
    Today, 12:49 AM
  • TomMonTom
    Is salary.com et al full of shit?
    TomMonTom
    It's really difficult to price ones ability when offers come in way bellow whatever average there is for the amount of experience anyone seems to have. I'm trying to figure out a good rate is and if any...
    Today, 12:23 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Alright then, thank you all for your answers
    Yesterday, 10:20 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    <b>
    Right now, at work, I'm using an early 2011 MacBook Pro. It's had no problems at all. I'll likely get a new one early next year, but I'm in no hurry because I don't want to give up the 17-inch display....
    Yesterday, 09:47 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert a psd file into vector

I need help please.

My client has sent me a psd file for me to use for a catalogue.
    I, however, work with Corel Draw X4 and I need it in vector format.
    When i import the psd file to Corel, it comes in bitmap format and not in vector.
    And, when i open it in Photoshop, i really have no idea what to do.
    And, it says, "some text layers need to be updated before they can be used for vector based output" when i try to open it.

My deadline is next week Monday, and I am really stumped as to what to do... By now you can tell how inexperienced i am.

Any recommendations will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Originally posted by luckee View Post
    I need help please.

My client has sent me a psd file for me to use for a catalogue.
    I, however, work with Corel Draw X4 and I need it in vector format.
    When i import the psd file to Corel, it comes in bitmap format and not in vector.
    And, when i open it in Photoshop, i really have no idea what to do.
    Photoshop is a pixel based program. It has the ability to use Vector Masks, Vector Shapes and Text in vector.

But these are only printable when saved as EPS or as PDF.

An EPS file will retain the vectors for output and embed the font. However, you cannot open the EPS file in photoshop again as by default Photoshop will open a flat bitmap version of an EPS file.

A PDF will be best as it can contain all the EPS can, but it is also editable in Photoshop when the PDF is saved from Photoshop with PDF editing Capabilities enabled.

PDFs will retain their structure and vector information too.

And, it says, "some text layers need to be updated before they can be used for vector based output" when i try to open it.
    This means that you do not have the fonts. Seen as font sharing is illegal you will have to purchase the font. Else have your client save their PSD file as PDF from Photoshop - that way you can then place the PDF into Corel and it should be ok.

As PDFs will embed font information and they will output vectors and raster where applied.

My deadline is next week Monday, and I am really stumped as to what to do... By now you can tell how inexperienced i am.

Any recommendations will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

It would be best to get your client to save the file from photoshop as PDF with PDF editing capabilities turned on.

You can then insert that into Corel.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Photoshop PSD files are raster (bitmap) images and can not be simply exported as vector.
      If you text needs updating I would guess that the fonts used to create the piece are not available on your computer.
      Is the PSD the right size, shape and resolution for use in the catalogue?
      Do you really need to recreate the artwork in Corel or can it simply be added as a flattened image?

If you can add it as a single image, open it in Photoshop, flatten the layers and save as a tif and a jpg - insert the tif in corel and send the jpg back to the client to confirm that the text(font) hasn't changed.
      If it has ask them to flattern the artwork and supply a tif.

If you need to recreate the artwork in Corel, does the PSD have a background image?
      If yes, open the PSD, hide the text layers and flattern the image - save as a tif.
      Find out what font your client is using and purchase a copy. Re-create the PSD artwork in Corel on top of the tif.

Hope that helps.

If everything, including the background needs to be vector, I am affraid you'll have to start from scratch - make sure, you agree any font purchases with the client first, explain any additional charges upfront (time spent recreating artwork) and get them to sign off any changes you have made - double double check your spelling and theirs - if you recreate something, you may be charged for reprinting if you make an error.

Good luck

Comment

Thank you both of you!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X