Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to Common font, but what is it? Please help.
    ISitude
    Upstairs inside my head I class fonts in categories. In the Serif category I remember this face because of its pointy serif, and I remember its name mainly because the Ss look like a Boa Constrictor that...
    Today, 05:52 PM
  • ISitude
    Comment on Common font, but what is it? Please help.
    ISitude
    WELCOME!!
    Today, 05:41 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Dissertation topic
    KitchWitch
    Hi ejl and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 05:01 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Common font, but what is it? Please help.
    <b>
    I have a weird mental block when it comes to this typeface. Whenever I see it, I can never remember its name. Maybe it's because there's absolutely nothing about the face that seems even remotely ser...
    Today, 04:02 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Client hasn't paid and is using my website!!
    <b>
    I haven't heard the client's side of the story, but just taking what you've written at face value, you're dealing with a big-time deadbeat and a thief. Getting this person to voluntarily hand over payment...
    Today, 03:56 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Wrapping

Hello All!

Im new to this forum and I could really use some help?

I got a job as a junior graphic designer, and it requires me to do car wrapping. Problem is, I have never done this in my life. I wouldnt know how to start!
    If any of you have any advice, websites, tutorials on how to do this, PLEASE PLEASE could you share. I could really do with all the help I can get.
    I have been reading up on car wrapping and found this good website - http://justcreative.com/2009/08/25/c...e-wrap-design/

Can someone please explain "Once you get this done, change the ppi of the document to 720ppi. When designing a wrap, a popular way to design at an appropriate scale without slowing down your machine is at 1/10th scale. Once the wrap is done and the design is ready to be set to print, flatten the document, and save it as a non compressed tiff. When you send it to print, or “rip” it, make sure to print it at 1000x scale."

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!

Design it at 1/10 scale at 720ppi, Multiply by 10 in Rip.
    There are so many things you need to keep in the back of your mind when doing vehicle wraps, it is a shame you don't have an experienced designer there to help you out.
    "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

When designing a wrap, a popular way to design at an appropriate scale without slowing down your machine is at 1/10th scale
      I hate to tell you this, but that statement is rubbish. If you scale your design down to 1/10, you have to multiply your resolution by 10. So if your end result is 72ppi at full scale, you are working at 720ppi at 1:10. The file size, and the strain on your Ram and processor, is the same either way. You need a machine with balls to do large format work.

I like working in 1:10. You work in inches and just move the decimal point. Happiness. No math.

As for wraps, you really need to discuss with the printer who will be printing this for you. Also the installer. If you are designing, printing, and installing by yourself, your best bet would be to get thee to a PDAA training class asap (http://www.sgia.org/pdaa/pdaa_training.cfm ).
      You don't want to learn on your own. You will need a very big dumpster.

Comment

Hi Aimee and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regulations, frequently discussed topics as well as clearing up any baffling inside jokes.

I can't help with this since I've never done a wrap before, but the others may be able to help. Is there at least a company you can pick the brains of or are you working for that company?
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Iv never done wraps, but I have done vinyl for cars, I used to put logos, names, and numbers, on cars and dragsters.

I never designed mine at 1/10 scale, Ive always designed mine to scale of what it was going to be in the end, and I've never had an issues.

I know wrapping is a lot different compared to just decals though, so I don't really know.

Comment

One shot wonder.
            if it fits on the artboard, I'd recommend designing at full scale at all times.
            If it doesn't, choose your scale wisely. I hate doing math so 1:10 works for me.
            So does 1/2 or 1/4. 1" = 1' not so much.

Comment

Hey Everyone.

Thank you for all your advice!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X