Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Hi GDF!
    KitchWitch
    Hi Chankaleng and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 11:48 AM
  • bluenite
    Open corrupted qxp files
    bluenite
    I accidentally deleted a QXP file ver.9.1 (os win64). In the recycle bin wasn't too. After his recovery with Recuva I found him restored. But QXpress is not able to open. Message is the same as opening...
    Today, 11:09 AM
  • chankaieng
    Reply to Some of my sketches, my true passion!
    chankaieng
    Generally the above shows you ve got a good base in proportion for human and animals

in my opinion, your sketch can be improved if you can make the contrast stronger, you may make use of...
    Today, 08:29 AM
  • chankaieng
    Hi GDF!
    chankaieng
    Hi all, I'm Chan Ka Ieng, passionated in illustration, I would like to explorer here to get some great ideas and, at the some time I hope I can be insightful to interacte with members here, lets get improvement...
    Today, 08:19 AM
  • Serpent
    Looking for a logo Design for my Electronic/Software company!
    Serpent
    Designers with Atheistic, Serpent and Dragon 'inclinations' will be a added advantage.
    Anybody interested may please contact
    roythomas@uroborostech.in or uroborostech@gmail.com
    Today, 07:45 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
    I actually like the way InDesign handles creep. You make a dummy of the final product on the actual paper, measure its thickness, then input that number. Works out pretty well.
    I really should investigate Indesign's creep feature a bit more. Since we set up books 2, 4 and 8up with some sections work and turn and other sections in sheetwork, it's been easier for me to work to a mockup rather than letting Indesign handle the imposition. But if Indesign could handle 2up and more, I would totally love for it to do creep too.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Buda View Post
      I really should investigate Indesign's creep feature a bit more. Since we set up books 2, 4 and 8up with some sections work and turn and other sections in sheetwork, it's been easier for me to work to a mockup rather than letting Indesign handle the imposition. But if Indesign could handle 2up and more, I would totally love for it to do creep too.
      Sadly it will only handle 2-up. For anything more than that we do creep by hand. And it sucks.
      http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Good to know. I guess I should re-investigate each time a new version of Indy comes out!
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

The Print Booklet feature comes in pretty handy for 2up stuff
          I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

Originally posted by jimking View Post
            Creep is adjusted by the pre-press tech before printing. However, this is becoming a dying trade made worse by clients and printers who see no value in skilled labor.
            I wish my printers would deal with creep. Trust me we have to do it or it won't be done. I do it manually by hand. Been doing it for long enough that I have a good idea of how much creep to expect based on the number of pages.
            Thankfully these days when it starts getting really bad we go to perfect bindery as then the revenue can support the extra cost.
            I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Originally posted by Audentia View Post
              I wish my printers would deal with creep. Trust me we have to do it or it won't be done. I do it manually by hand. Been doing it for long enough that I have a good idea of how much creep to expect based on the number of pages.
              Thankfully these days when it starts getting really bad we go to perfect bindery as then the revenue can support the extra cost.
              Printers should deal with it. If not they should find another line of business to pursue like flipping burgers. I'm very serious about this. In the last couple of years I've seen too many crappy plants, idiot owners and absolutely untrained personnel, as though you can just plug anyone off the street onto a 6 color press, for example. I've seen it with my own eyes. I've seen a shop owner (owner of a quick copy shop) actually think that a veteran folder operator should be able to jump from a 40" folder to a 40" 6 color press. Made me very angry because this kind of greed can actually kill the folder operator if he was to attempt to operate it.
              WYSIWYG

Comment

If you think that type of thinking is bad in offset, swing by a digital shop sometime.

But I agree. The first thing I was told when I started feeding a Komori 6-40 was "This machine can kill you. Now, here's how you clean a blanket..."

The apprentice style of training had large, amorphous mass of useful tangential benefits to the trainee and for the industry. I miss it.
                Seriously, read this.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardsayswhat View Post
                  If you think that type of thinking is bad in offset, swing by a digital shop sometime.

But I agree. The first thing I was told when I started feeding a Komori 6-40 was "This machine can kill you. Now, here's how you clean a blanket..."

The apprentice style of training had large, amorphous mass of useful tangential benefits to the trainee and for the industry. I miss it.
                  Sorry to everyone for jumping off subject a bit, this is what happens when the subject (bleed) comes up . Maynard, through the years I've known several pressmen with missing fingers. One of the print companies that merged with us had a 40" 5 color pressman killed when he raised his stack of paper, he then forgot to move his head out of the way of a safety bar, trapping his head between the bar and a half skid of paper. He strangled himself.
                  WYSIWYG

Comment

buda, I know at one point we had trim marks on there. after a few revisions though I was working on something else for the project and I don't know if the guy laying it out continued using them or not.

We were there the whole time though while it was being printed. explaining to the guy, what size it needed to be and such, so its not like he had no clue what was going on.

This is all great advice though, thanks all. I'll be sure to try and absorb as much as possible to keep in mind for next time.

Comment

Originally posted by jimking View Post
                      Sorry to everyone for jumping off subject a bit, this is what happens when the subject (bleed) comes up . ... One of the print companies that merged with us had a 40" 5 color pressman killed...
                      Continuing the hijack... Three years ago we hired a web printer to print a whole bunch of booklets that I designed. The day before the schedule press run, the sales rep called me to say there would be a two-day delay on the job. He told that one of the pressmen somehow got his arm caught in the web press machinery tore it right off, so they sent everybody home. It was one of those old, huge, high-speed, grimy newspaper presses where the web is exposed along with most of the moving parts. Two days later when I showed up for the press check, the mood was awfully somber as copies came off that press.

Comment

Goodness. I'm glad there have been no casualties or lost limbs at our factory.

I complain when I have to trim encapsulated laminating by hand and I get paper cuts. Laminated card cuts much deeper than regular paper.

Comment

Horrible stories. Reminds me of Stephen King's "The Mangler."

I remember working at Target back in the day, and being told to remove any hand/wrist rings/bracelets before retrieving from the warehouse. The guy that warned me had fallen from a ladder and caught his wedding ring on a shelf. Yep, ripped his finger off.
                          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Just felt like chiming in:

OP, places like FedEx/Kinkos can't print on oversized paper. If you wanted to print something 8.5 x 11(final size), with 1/8in bleeds all around, then your actual print size is BIGGER than 8.5 x 11 – it's 8.75 x 11.25. Quick copy places like this don't usually carry oversized paper, so when they put your file in their machine it's going to tell them it's oversized compared to the print area, and they're going to scale it. Also keep in mind most commercial machines, both digital and offset, can't print right up against the edge of the paper. Most digitals I've worked with have a .25-.375 margin all around. That means the actual image size they can print on 8.5 x 11 is actually 7.75 x 10.25. They scale your full bleed image down a few %, and you get a slightly smaller image with a white border.

The idea of a bleed, as others have said, is to avoid a slight white space around an image going to the edge of the sheet. I won't reiterate the reasons why this can happen, other than saying nothing is perfect. Presses can become slightly out of register. Cutters can become slightly less accurate with more wear. Operators can be tired and trying to rush. A perfect world doesn't exist and bleeds help account for that. Same as trapping does.

---
                            On the whole missing fingers topic, I remember seeing a video where some poor fellow got his whole arm trapped in some rather large 10 color sheetfed. Looked like a hellova painful ordeal. I've heard plenty of stories of people cleaning up AB Dicks with a rag against the rollers, getting their hand sucked in, and most of the lucky ones leaving with just a bruise. I guess AB Dicks are small enough that a finger can actually stop the rollers!

I remember our school made us get rid of a rather large one color solna and a Heidelberg Windmill a while back...I guess they couldn't find ways to add safeties to them...

Comment

Joe, they can print on 11x17....

And I know a few mounter/laminators who have mangled fingers. I've gotten pinched a time or two but never actually fed my hand in there. Nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                                Joe, they can print on 11x17....

And I know a few mounter/laminators who have mangled fingers. I've gotten pinched a time or two but never actually fed my hand in there. Nasty.
                                Can they?

Show's how long it's been since I've been in a kinkos . I'd wager against them being able to do 12 x 18 though.

I heard a story about a guy getting part of his hand/forearm ripped off by a little giant. Nasty indeed.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X