Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Hi GDF!
    KitchWitch
    Hi Chankaleng and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 11:48 AM
  • bluenite
    Open corrupted qxp files
    bluenite
    I accidentally deleted a QXP file ver.9.1 (os win64). In the recycle bin wasn't too. After his recovery with Recuva I found him restored. But QXpress is not able to open. Message is the same as opening...
    Today, 11:09 AM
  • chankaieng
    Reply to Some of my sketches, my true passion!
    chankaieng
    Generally the above shows you ve got a good base in proportion for human and animals

in my opinion, your sketch can be improved if you can make the contrast stronger, you may make use of...
    Today, 08:29 AM
  • chankaieng
    Hi GDF!
    chankaieng
    Hi all, I'm Chan Ka Ieng, passionated in illustration, I would like to explorer here to get some great ideas and, at the some time I hope I can be insightful to interacte with members here, lets get improvement...
    Today, 08:19 AM
  • Serpent
    Looking for a logo Design for my Electronic/Software company!
    Serpent
    Designers with Atheistic, Serpent and Dragon 'inclinations' will be a added advantage.
    Anybody interested may please contact
    roythomas@uroborostech.in or uroborostech@gmail.com
    Today, 07:45 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Magazine Gutter Size

I have tried to research this topic for awhile now and only seem to find answers related to non-us magazine sizes, such as A4, etc.

I am wanting to know what the standard is for the Gutter in a 11x17 size magazine. My company gets them perfect bound and spiral bound. The last magazine I created I used a 1" gutter and it came out fine but I wouldn't mind adding maybe a 1/4" to each side. If this is to much, let me know.

P.S. It's a product catalog, so not gutter bleeds.

Any help would be appreciated!

Completely up to you - and the extent of pages.

I have a book that I do that's 3,200 pages, there's a larger gutter on this because the book has to be opened, the pages sit deeper into the spine to keep them nice and tight and don't fall out.

If you want to add another 1/4 inch then go for it. There's no reason that I can think of that you shouldn't.

I will add - talk to your printers and let them know - they may need to make changes at the bindery stage or something.

All in all there is no set value.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Eugene has great advice here, talk to your printers.

I've done perfect bound books with different printers and they often ask for different gutter/margin values. They know their press the best and know what things generally come out looking. I don't think there is an industry set number, so long as it looks good and nothing is cut off (or there isn't 2" of white space for no reason) then it's fine.
      I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Who's this "Eugene" you speak of?

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

My bad dude... my bad.
          I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Originally posted by hank_scorpio View Post
            Who's this "Eugene" you speak of?
            Some crazy Irish guy who used to frequent this place. Haven't seen him in a while. Been a much calmer place since his departure.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Yeah, I think Hank must have scared the riff-raff away.

Comment

You shoulda seen this Broacher character. He scared all the n00bs away and made people think so hard their heads would explode. He's been gone for just as long. Wonder what happened to him...

blog/portfolio

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X