Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• salsa
    Reply to Project Management
    salsa
    I don't have anything else to add. I think talking to your boss about it first is important so that you at least have her buy-in. Then you'll have to write a procedure and it will need to be backed by...
    Today, 04:07 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Do You Keep Work Drafts?
    kemingMatters
    I keep a folder for images and other supplied content in a folder with my indd, I only package the end result, as any of the links I used in my drafts will be in the folder I made and the fonts will already...
    Today, 04:06 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to 10 minutes from home
    kemingMatters
    I've been meaning to post something here for a while, here's a long exposure I took last weekend up at the lake. I can't really tell you how long the exposure was because I wasn't keeping track, I was...
    Today, 04:01 PM
  • com_amy
    Reply to Do You Keep Work Drafts?
    com_amy
    They've been dropping things into a "Draft" folder, but none of the ID files are packaged or anything. Do you guys recommend adding a "_Draft" to those files AND packaging them? I...
    Today, 04:00 PM
  • salsa
    Reply to Logo for a small startup company....
    salsa
    How much time have you spent talking to the client about what they want? Did you spend a couple hours with them or has the only thing they've told you is what you wrote above?

Since the project's...
    Today, 03:56 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did they do this?

I came across this (attached) and would like to apply this to a upcoming project. I've been yet unable to find software to create the page elements that results in text on the face of the book. This book is about 256 pages.

Suggestions are most welcome.

biquer
    Attached Files

Yes - I have seen software be able to do that before - can't recall the name of it off hand.

It's basically printing a colour on each page and when gathered it spells out a word.

It can be done with a "Stamp" at the end of production, with the closing pages clamped together, a stamp with ink is applied.

But for software to do this - I'll have to dig around.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

wow, interesting. I have seen Edge Printing but that is solely one directional, the way you show it it is printed on the pages themselves...interesting indeed.
      Dribbble Page
      Behance Portfolio
      Linkedin Profile

Comment

Does it completely disappear when the book is closed?
        "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

I believe it's called "fore-edge printing"
          Here's a video I found that shows the process, not sure how much it would vary for a large run. It's very cool to watch though.
          Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

We have a vendor that does this, I just send them an illustrator file and they print it on the edge of large notepads.
            “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

The video's procedure might be good for one or very few copies, but my project is for an offset press run of at least 500 copies. The content for the "edge printing" is printed on the outside bleed of each page so that the face / edge of each copy has the text as shown on my attachment on the initial post.

Hank scorpio has a handle on it. I'm thinking it's an InDesign plugin. I've yet to find it.

Thanks to all.
              biquer

Comment

I suppose it could be done manually.

Create an image and divide it horizontally by the amount of pages in the book.

Then create a Data Merge on each page to bring in each slice of the image into the same position within the book.

Although you might need to have the same image on 5 pages and another on another 5 pages... it's hard to tell.

Some trial and error for sure.

I'm sure I've seen some software that does this at Impo stage though - nearly sure I have.

Comment

The "Word Image" would have to be of course the depth of the spine and the height of the publication.

Comment

Originally posted by biquer View Post
                    The video's procedure might be good for one or very few copies, but my project is for an offset press run of at least 500 copies.
                    If you're printing offset, just supply the art in appropriate format (illy) to the printer and provide a layout for the fore-edge design.

Are you wanting to create/place tiny sliver of word art on each page edge? Seems like a lot of unnecessary work to me, or am I missing something?
                    Last edited by PanToshi; 04-25-2012, 03:02 PM.
                    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I liked this example bouncing off from that video that Pan posted:

http://tinyurl.com/82jz5nf

Comment

I've asked two print suppliers and they are going to take a look into it to see if there's anything out there. They are sales reps so they wouldn't know off hand.

It's interesting concept that adds a nice finish to print material.

I'm nearly sure I've done this before though, not often, probably just once.

Comment

Is that a stamp or a combination of a fraction of the print on each page? That's pretty amazing and looks like quite an in-depth process.

I can't even imagine what type of software one would use to achieve that. I'm thinking that a stamp would be the easiest way to get that effect.

I've never done anything like that. I would be interested to hear how.

Comment

It actually does look more and more like it was done as per video posted. It's the only way that would result in that effect.

I've asked around and nobody really has an answer, except for the application on a screen press.

I think though, the video that is shown is very manual, I'm almost certain they have industrial carousel type screens for this type of work.

Not 100% sure, but almost.

Comment

I don't have my copy around to take pictures of, but Chip Kidd's The Cheese Monkeys takes this method a step further. When you first open the book it says one thing and when you are nearing the end of the book it says another. One way says "Good is Dead" the other way says "Do You See?"

EDIT: I found this site that has pictures of it
                              Design is not decoration.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X