X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector problem

I work in a per-press company where we image film with Herkules pro image setter. The process goes like this," when u open a job in corel draw, u will then seperate the image and background as bitmaps saved as jpeg and the text as vector saved as eps and import both files in pagemaker before sending the job to the machine".
    My problem is, when i import the eps in pagemaker,there is a white mask covering the page in pagemaker.
    Can someone please tell me how to prepare my vector text in corel draw and avoid this white mask covering my image in pagemaker.
    Thanks.

corel draw and pagemaker? Wow, that is one outdated (and wonky) workflow you have there. Sorry, I'm no help, I can't even remember what PM looks like!
    “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Jeez - not only outdated software, but outdated systems - I haven't met anyone using an imagesetter in about 7 years!

Anyway - you might have some luck on the Adobe forums - there are some old aces knocking around there that were around even before Pagemaker.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Wow. Wayback machine.

First of all, the default EPS previews in EPS are usually based on the embedded 'header' portion of the EPS -- which is not fixed in resolution, or even structure, by the way. And the technology from PageMaker days meant that no matter what the preview header raster was, it would not display transparent-- you ALWAYS got a white box in preview -- or when printed to a non-postscript proofing laser. But it should be fine in print/rip. I always made a PDF to double-check -- it's kind of a cheapy 'soft-proof' method.

It is possible to create a VECTOR preview header with transparency (at least, to a vector edge or outline, but no 'semi-transparency support) for an EPS, and CorelDraw is the only drawing app I know of that can do this trick. But it only works in Windows because the vector format is WMF. But it does work. Except... if the EPS you're making in Draw contains any raster (pixel) based images. WMF doesn't do well there. I mean, it should RIP okay-- it just won't display well.

I still don't understand why you're rasterizing the image(?)/background as JPGs though. Why not just do it all as an EPS? If it's a font issue -- check convert all text to curves.

Or am I missing something?

Comment

Vector problem

Bob thank you for that reply. You are very close to my solving my problem. I did not rasterize the background with the text. I selected the text with the page box in corel, click export, in file type i click eps and sort by vector. Text curve and i export. I have an artist in my office that does the process and in pagemaker the text and the image comes clear without a cover.
          I will be very happy if i can know how to do this right from coreldraw.
          Thanks.

Comment

If I remember correctly, when you place the EPS it has a white box, but when you actually print it, it will be transparent. Like Bob said. Have you tried printing it on a postcript printer?

Why aren't you sending it directly from Corel?

And if you NEED to go through PM, why not send both text and background as an eps? The resulting file will still have vector and bitmap information and should rip fine.

Comment

Wherever that infographic is with the ladder and the monkeys, this is the perfect time for it. This process seems very obtuse. I don't think there is a way to do what you want using only Pagemaker & Corel Draw.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
              Working...
              X