Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about QR codes and post office...

I'm designing a mailer for a client who auctions real estate. On the back where the mailing address and barcode goes, they want a QR code that leads people to the web site for this auction. Not in the same area. The address will be on the right, and the QR code on the left. But it will line up approximately where the mailing barcode will be. I can post a sample if that helps.

Does anyone know if the code will interfere with the post office reading the mailing bar code? I'm thinking not, but I just don't want to find out the hard way.

I checked on USPS's site and couldn't find anything. I called our local postmaster and he was about as much help as you'd figure. He didn't even know what a QR code was.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

We've done mailings with those on it before and it wasn't an issue. We put the QR on the bottom left far away from any scannable areas just to be safe.

Comment

I don't think a USPS scanner would pick that up so I think you should be safe.
      Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by VDM View Post
        We've done mailings with those on it before and it wasn't an issue. We put the QR on the bottom left far away from any scannable areas just to be safe.
        Yeah, that's what I'm going to do as well. Thanks.

Comment

Why not do a test mail to be sure? Print one up, even if it's not on the right stock/color/etc. Just a strict test of the barcode placement with the QR code. That's what I've done before when testing stuff through the mail for weird mailers. Granted most of my tests have been for size, or content, but should let you know if it's possible. Plus if they post office doesn't like it and renders it undeliverable, at least you're only down one piece and the cost associated with one piece vs. the cost for all. keep us posted on what happens, I'm curious to know!
          Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing.
          - Randy K. Milholland

Comment

That's a good idea, but you want to guess what the chances are that our post office would do that for us?

They are so inept that we often put our mailings on a truck and send them to a larger post office 2 hours away to get them done correctly...

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that a QR code won't cause a problem. The postal scanners only recognize the postal bar codes. Just don't place it (or anything else) in the areas reserved for postal service use or they'll slap you with an extra fee (of course, you likely knew that already).

Comment

I have also been wondering if QR codes will interfere with post office codes and I can't find any evidence that it does. As stated earlier the post office scanners will only pick up their codes. Also I'm assuming since QR technology is being used in a new(ish) fashion that the scanners use a different reader.

Also as mentioned earlier a test run wouldn't be such a bad idea, not only will you be able to see the scanning behavior, but you will also be able to see if it obstructs the area used by the post office. I'm not quite sure how far away the barcodes need to be from each other (if at all), but like many I would be curious to know.

It's pretty crazy that this is one of the first times that I've seen the question considering the auto industry has been using QR codes forever.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X