X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with InDesign - printing problem

Hi guys I'm having a bit of a problem with InDesign.

The requirements for my project are:
    Page @210mm x 297 mm
    Bleed @ 430mm x 307mm bleed

So the page is A4, but the bleed is 430mm x 307mm?? Is this even possible?

I can't even enter that into InDesign.

So instead I entered 5mm as the bleed for all entries. Would you say that is a safe bet? The project is going to be printed for a magazine.

Also once I've exported it as a PDF, I tick the Bleed marks [ ] ...
    However, I open the PDF and the crop marks in each corner still show even when printed (as a practice copy) from my home printer.

How do I get rid of those marks? Thank you!

Is the bleed width really 430mm, or is that a typo? 230mm maybe?
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
      Is the bleed width really 430mm, or is that a typo? 230mm maybe?
      Thanks for your reply, yes it says 430. I've sent emails back and forth with this lady before, and her punctuation, grammar and everything is always perfect! I doubt she would make an error like this...

Even if it was being printed, 5mm bleed is still of the "page" and I dont have any graphics near the edges, so I should 'technically' be fine... I dont know haha :P

Any thoughts on the exporting to PDF? The crop marks go only if I don't click bleed, but I always thought.. I needed bleed.

Comment

When you Export as PDF in InDesign, if you click on Marks and Bleeds and make sure the Marks are unticked, that's what you should get. If you've set the document bleed to 5mm, and tick "Use Document Bleed settings," you should get the bleed without the trim/crip marks.

When you print from Acrobat (I'm looking at X, but there's similar in 9), in the Print dialog click "Marks and Bleeds" and make sure the marks are turned off.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that and report back!

Comment

*crosses fingers*

Hope that helped!

Comment

sounds like it should be 220, not 430. The second number is right.

Comment

Look like spread bleed dimensions to me.
                210+210=420+5+5=430
                297+5+5=307

Why you have been given spread bleed specs, is a mystery to me. Likely a typo/error, IMO.
                Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Unless they want the submission done as printer spreads.
                  Maybe that's what they mean by a "graphic file."

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                    Unless they want the submission done as printer spreads.
                    Maybe that's what they mean by a "graphic file."
                    Could be; does the OP know what side they will be on? Left or right?
                    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

It's a strange one. I think someone just got something mixed up.

It could be a spread. But sounds like they need to clarify it with the source.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Thanks for your help guys... I sent an email to the lady confirming the numbers, and she said they were right... I didn't want to argue so I made the bleed 10mm top left bottom and right.

There are no graphics coming of the page and the background is going to be a plain white, so It wouldnt matter if the bleed was 2mm or 5...

Should be good.

Also question, when converting PDF to JPG and other file types, do you guys use online converters?

Comment

Online converters?
                          Not with InDesign.
                          And I'd want the client to tell me exactly what format before sending something off as a jpg, which is not really a print format.
                          Hope you don't have any Pantone matches in there.

Comment

Yeh I sent it as a PDF to them as first, then they asked for a "graphic file"... I replied what format and they asked either jpg or gif.

I converted the pdf to jpg online... hopefully the scaling doesn't get affected.

They have been quite difficult to deal with... communication is very slow on their behalf. Then they complain why I'm charging so much because I'm waiting for their response...

ahh dear.

Comment

Do yourself a favour and find another printers. That place is a joke.

The fact they can't make the PDF a JPEG themselves is a joke. Let alone actually asking for JPEG, get the boat!

I use Photoshop and open the PDF there and then save as a JPG.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X