Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Extreme colour shift
    PrintDriver
    Usually it's a combination of the ink dot pattern and the lam, not so much the stock. And won't you get silvering if you lam a matte stock? Or is it a real smooth matte?

CMYK inkjet is notorious...
    Today, 08:15 PM
  • misplacedVTer
    Reply to Friend as a client - problem
    misplacedVTer
    It's a tough lesson lots of people in the industry have learned, myself included. As for making things physical... the guy that stiffed me like this told me he would come to my house and shoot me dead...
    Today, 08:14 PM
  • H22
    Comment on Logo for a small startup company....
    H22
    I have talked with them at length about it but that conversation is kind of lost on them. This is a side business that they "may" grow into something larger. But at the moment, they aren't focusing...
    Today, 08:03 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to How to Delete Selected Backround
    KitchWitch
    Hi Brad and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 07:56 PM
  • Keyare
    Reply to Extreme colour shift
    Keyare
    Would printing on a matte stock, then lamm help?
    Today, 07:54 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMS color and gradients

What is the best way to handle blending 2 pms colors. If you do it as a gradient the blend fades and gets light in the middle. Blending sucks cause you have to redraw every tiny move and Blends can slow you down. Changing the PMS colors to Process makes the gradient richer but what if I have to stay true to the PMS colors. Will they print Okay at offset. When I print on the printer i get the white band in the middle. Is Blending better than gradients when you are considering PMS colors in the artwork??

(Scratching head in Frustration) Thanks,
    Crimson
    I don't make mistakes. I thought I did once but I was wrong.

www.deepanchorgraphics.com

Problem with gradients and blends is if they get too big, they band when printed.
    Sometimes they band even when small depending on the colors used.
    I assume you are talking about Illustrator?
    Have you tried creating the gradients in Photoshop (+/- a little noise maybe) and placing them in Illustrator?
    You may need to provide an editable photoshop file depending on who is doing your printing on what machine in case color needs to be tweaked to perfection.

PD is a grande format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

Yes they are illustrator. I know I could make it in Photoshop but was trying to keep it vector. When I convert my spot colors to process they blend richer but when they are spot it's like they have to fade to white before it can fade to the next color. Hopefully this jpeg can show you my point.

Comment

I guess I was hoping that like when you do a transformation with two pms colors you can chose overprint the colors and then the film will knock out for both colors instead of what's on top. Is it a transparency issue. Appearance or some way to overprint colors in the gradient so it is a color rich blend.

Thanks,
        Crimson

Comment

Yikes, I know when I'm licked. I don't use seps.
          I moved this into the Prepress and Print forum for the press guys to find...maybe.

PD is a grande format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

Uping this thread to see if I can get any suggestions. Still struggling with getting a rich gradient from 1 pms color to another.

Thanks,
            crimson

Comment

I think I know what you're asking about. If you construct a two spot colour gradient in AI, there's no way to extend from 0 to 100 in opposite directions, because AI will stop at the halfway point for the 'overprint zone' leaving the colour mixing incomplete.

The only solution I know of is to create your blend in the underlying colour blend, copy, paste in place, and edit the copy's gradient with the new colour, and change the top object's Attribute to Overprint.

Not too elegant, is it?

FTR, CorelDraw does separate this kind of blend correctly in a single object-- provided you're outputting DIRECTLY out of CorelDraw using it's print driver. It doesn't seem to be able to 'stick' the same separation into an EPS or PDF. I wonder why this is so difficult to do?

Post Edited (Broacher) : 4/12/2005 3:19:48 PM GMT

Comment

People can anyone tell me what PMS is exectly. Why we use this isint there anything else thats better that this. And how useful is this

Thank you

Regards
                kapil
                Last edited by kapilchakravarthy; 04-25-2005, 11:50 AM.

Comment

hey kapil, PMS stands for Pantone Matching System.

check out this article from the pantone website:
                  http://www.pantone.com/aboutus/aboutus.asp?idArticle=49
                  "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Matching systems vary depending on where in the world you are.
                    Toyo is very popular overseas but I've never had to use it.

Comment

Doesn't PMS only come in one colour!? [c'mon ... you gotta laugh at that one]

Comment

LOL...

I have to admit, I never know what PMS colours were until several months after I was in the pre-press business... that's bad!

now that I'm not working there anymore, and have my own business, I miss my swatches!!! And it's so expensive to buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by morea
                          hey kapil, PMS stands for Pantone Matching System.

check out this article from the pantone website:
                          http://www.pantone.com/aboutus/aboutus.asp?idArticle=49

Thank you very much morea for throing some light on me on that PMS. i always wanted to know that.

regards
                          kapil

Comment

Originally posted by Kink
                            LOL...

I have to admit, I never know what PMS colours were until several months after I was in the pre-press business... that's bad!

now that I'm not working there anymore, and have my own business, I miss my swatches!!! And it's so expensive to buy one.

To be honest i am in this industry for the 6 yrs and i know what PMS is only now. Thats very very bad. The reason here in India we follow the CMYK stuff.

Though i work for a US based company we follow the CMYK. There in US i heard they follow the PMS. Is the true.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                              Matching systems vary depending on where in the world you are.
                              Toyo is very popular overseas but I've never had to use it.

Toyo whats that......

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X