Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• jr72023
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    jr72023
    It really looks good. As noted, I am not an artist. The rest of the posters are the pros.

Just curious if a ? in the lower bubble "clue" might not be a little more poignant? Even...
    Today, 01:39 AM
  • Derailed
    Reply to I am SO confused about vehicle wrap design?
    Derailed
    I work for a wrap company. We do almost everything in Illustrator. They send me the templates of the vehicles, although sometimes I don't have to match everything up exactly. Would you be designing...
    Today, 12:16 AM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Adobe Illustrator... Object won't select!
    kemingMatters
    Drop shadow is a raster effect, you'll have to look in the appearance palette to remove the effect
    Yesterday, 11:02 PM
  • Pavlo
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    Pavlo
    I really like the latest version and the concept of the e's facing / speaking with each other. The look and feel is vastly improved and I get an immediate sense of what you are trying to say about the...
    Yesterday, 10:44 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Deaf graphic designers
    KitchWitch
    Hi Signing Toys and welcome to GDF.

If you are looking to hire a deaf graphic designer, please post in the classified section and be sure to include an email address so people can contact...
    Yesterday, 10:26 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printing business cards, couple questions...

ok, I designed my business card. I made it in a 2x3.5' size, and made sure the text was at least 1/8' from the edge. So then I increased the file size to 2.167x3.627' for the bleed.

if the printer is good, it will get printed and cut to the original 2x3.5' design correct? I was wondering because the design looks like crap with the bleed in there...

also, I've been looking at various printing places online. All have a high gloss UV coating...but some say they have an Aqueous gloss coating, or a satin matte finish. What does the Aqueous gloss coating look like. Anyone have any preference?

my .ai file has things hanging over the edge of the document...as long as the document size is set correctly, I shouldn't have to worry about that, right?

And I think lastly, any recomendations for a online printer? I've been checking out 48hourprint.com and Overnightprints.com...quality is a priority over speed. Thanks

couple more ?'s

Whats a good paper stock, I think 12 is standard, is 14 overkill?

and is there a minimum font size that will print clearly? I have Myriad at 8pt...

Comment

Drorain just did my cards, they are fabulous. I just wanted to make sure to HIGHLY RECOMMEND his services. Speed, quality, service, price. I was impressed by all. Hopefully he'll be by here soon. SLIGHTLY smaller than standard but I never would have noticed.

The bleed will make it look like crap, but don't worry ... once they are cut, all will be back to normal. But you've got crop marks where you want them to cut, right? Cutting is not exact, that's why you need to allow a % for movement.

Really, you want to ask your printer some of these questions. They should provide a lot of this info. on their website, but a good printer is usually willing to answer questions before you send in a file (they would rather have you ask questions before-hand than wind up with a mess to fix once they get it). As for gloss coating, you've got the blue cards, correct? I think that would look fab with gloss, it would make the color pop. Online printers make this feature affordable -- if I were to do gloss in my town locally? SPENDY.

I always put my business cards on a standard old 8.5' x 11' document with crop marks where I want them. I am curious if printers prefer if you set your document size a certain way, too. Printers appreciate it when you prepare files correctly, I try to make life easiest for them ... it's good kharma. I think they prefer it if you ask questions directly rather than guess ... every printer is just a wee bit different.

Somebody, please tell me if I am doing this all wrong! lol
      You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

I think if you go with an online printer, you'll have to ask them about their paper stock -- every one is different and you might not have options there.

I think Myriad (LOVE!) 8pt would be fine, but it all depends on the contrast of colors you're using of course.
        You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

you hsould have an 1/8 inch bleed on all edges, your document size should stay the size of your card and drage the bleed over.
          thoose online printers you mentioned are crap

'No Lois I am not drunk, I am exhausted because I have been up all night drinking.'

Comment

BOSCOW said...
            you hsould have an 1/8 inch bleed on all edges, your document size should stay the size of your card and drage the bleed over.
            thoose online printers you mentioned are crap

thanks for the info, any suggestions on printers?

Comment

I would choose to use a local printer if possible. But than thats just me.

Also, you mentioned that your document size was set to 3.5' x 2'. But you did not mention whether you had crop marks or not. You definately want crop marks set 1/8' off the edge of your trim. You do want 1/8' bleed but I am concerned by you saying that you blew your whole card up to get the bleed. Maybe I read incorrectly. If you did that I am not sure your type will still be 1/8' in from the trim. Make sure it is. 8 Pt. is a good size. A little on the small side but still O.K. Remember people need to easily read it. If you have room I would go 10 Pt. but it is not necessary. I havn't seen your design and it may dictate the smaller type to look good.

As far as how a printer likes things laid out I suppose that may vary from printer to printer but I know that as a printer I would like the card submitted to me as a 1-up document. If you did it in Illustrator that is great because I would save it as an EPS and step it up in my imposition program however many I am going to run it up. Not all printers use 8.5 x 11 size paper to run business cards. In my previous life we used to run them 4 up all the time on 8.5 x 5.5.

Randy

Randy Gennick
              A.S.A.P. Art & Design

Comment

man, everyone and everything I read says something different, lol. At one point I had crop marks set at the 3x2.5' points, and had the bleed extending to 2.167x3.627'. Wouldn't I want the crop marks at the 2x3.5' marks instead of 1/8 inch out? ...I guess I'll have to find a printer around here and ask for their preference.

I didn't blow up the whole card, just extended the background, so I'm good there. Thanks for the info!

The Digital Man said...
                I would choose to use a local printer if possible. But than thats just me.

Also, you mentioned that your document size was set to 3.5' x 2'. But you did not mention whether you had crop marks or not. You definately want crop marks set 1/8' off the edge of your trim. You do want 1/8' bleed but I am concerned by you saying that you blew your whole card up to get the bleed. Maybe I read incorrectly. If you did that I am not sure your type will still be 1/8' in from the trim. Make sure it is. 8 Pt. is a good size. A little on the small side but still O.K. Remember people need to easily read it. If you have room I would go 10 Pt. but it is not necessary. I havn't seen your design and it may dictate the smaller type to look good.

As far as how a printer likes things laid out I suppose that may vary from printer to printer but I know that as a printer I would like the card submitted to me as a 1-up document. If you did it in Illustrator that is great because I would save it as an EPS and step it up in my imposition program however many I am going to run it up. Not all printers use 8.5 x 11 size paper to run business cards. In my previous life we used to run them 4 up all the time on 8.5 x 5.5.

Randy

Comment

Aquious coating and Satin Gloss are both types of varnish. I believe they are both a little less shiny/durable than UV coating, but they should work fine for a BC. Durability is only an issue when you do a spot varnish on a book cover or something like that. I use a company called Color24 to vendor 4c business cards, and they do an OK job (fast, cheap, etc...).

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can even put on its shoes.
                  -Mark Twain

Comment

I usually specify matt lamination finish on business cards - sometimes with a spot UV or Foil block for the logo. 8pt (depending on the font) is a good size. You can get away with 7pt but 8 is generally better.

Comment

you're a (wo)man obsessed jamodu with yur foil blocks!

C*** Designer

Comment

so i'm a blocky bloke who likes shiny things - problem with that? [img]/DesktopModules/dotNetBB/emoticons/bootyshake.gif[/img]

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X