Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi 858 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:28 AM
  • thebombman53
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    thebombman53
    I know of those sites - I actually have profiles on them. The point of building it myself is to give me practice with web design. Again, why I'm here asking for criticism. If you have any feedback, it...
    Today, 01:02 AM
  • Buster_
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    Buster_
    I can appreciate that you're trying to build your site from scratch, but why not use a portfolio hosting site that offers free templates until you're more comfortable with web design? There are plenty...
    Today, 12:05 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Getting started...
    salsa
    If you're not sure you're making enough, figure out you income per hour and take into account all your expenses and overhead and blah blah blah. It takes some time to put together the spreadheets, or...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • salsa
    Comment on Crit on my first business card? No client, experimental.
    salsa
    em: —
    en: –
    hypehn: -
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asked to make a HUUUUGE 7.60 x 4 METRE banner, at 100dpi???

My architect client has asked for a 3D render of an upcoming project, and is supplying artwork for the site hoardings (via me). The printer is making the hoarding, 7.60 x 4 metres for good visibility, but wants the image at 100dpi. Seems like overkill.

where do I start with this??? I have the model in 3D Studio, and the first step is the render....My machine won't be happy with a 29640 x 15600 render. suppose I can do something more like 25 (33?) dpi, and blow it up later, but I still reckon my computer is going to choke. The only other way I can think of doing this is in sections...

Anyone have experience of ENORRRRRRRRRRRMOUS images? Should I even consider the render/post at home?

I worked it out to be about 250 Mb of image. Youch.

Thanks for your 2 pennies.

Does the image take up the whole banner cuz I'm coming up with almost 1.8 GIGS of image not megabytes.

What's the viewing distance? (site hoardings = barricade covers? or building wrap?)

Usually something billboard size (and this qualifies) is done at under 50dpi. 35dpi would probably work in this case at a 15-20foot viewing distance, even 16-25dpi if high up or on a building. Some building wraps count in Inches per Dot instead of dpi... LOL. But if the client is getting up close and personal with it, it could get dicey trying to sell it.

The other thing too, if this is a building wrap or barricade cover it is usually done on mesh to reduce wind load. 100dpi would be a waste as much ink falls thru the holes in the mesh.

The rendering part is gonna kill your comp.

And rezzing up a smaller image is not likely to look sharp either.

Tough one.

PD is a grande format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Post Edited (PrintDriver) : 4/12/2005 2:02:34 AM GMT

Comment

Its going to be encapsulated (I believe) or printed onto a plastic, and fixed to a billboard type structure, maybe 3-5 metres up from the pavement. It will be up during the construction of the building, so probably a year or so, and therefore be durable and washable. I do think 100dpi is too much. 18Gb? Big youch. Must have been a factor of 10 out...

I've only got 1.5Gof RAM, and I've tied it up before in photoshop!

Thanks, I think...

Comment

just as a sidenote, how big is your max file ? you might wanna try a web based renderfarm, good for the money, as long as you include it in your billing ! Or ask nicely and i could try it overnight on my dual xeon...... for a small fee [img]/DesktopModules/dotNetBB/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

C*** Designer

Comment

1.8gigs.

They may be printing it in pieces too.

PD is a grande format digital print dude. His advice/opinions may not apply to the 4color/offset/web world of printing

Comment

Let's see. The Max file is 2Mb, but I wanted to do some post work on it. Maybe I could just workthe render a little more.

I'm going to spend a bit of time rendering in portions, and I'll get back with the results. Probably lots of to come!

Thanks guys!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
            Working...
            X