Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CorelDraw good for layout designing than Quark or Pagemaker

People,

I use CorelDraw 11 for designing brouchers, Fliers. But i wanted to know about Quark, Page maker, InDesign. In CorelDraw i add the Image's created in Photoshop and all the typo work in CorelDraw . Then when i send it for printing to the vendor i jus burn it in a cd/dvd as cdr format. Thats all i do.

But my friend's friend says he uses quark or page maker or In Design and give it for printing.

I use CorelDraw because my deadlines are tight. My dept head says that using CorelDraw the production is much faster. Is this true. I have been working as a graphic for 4.5 yrs in website layout and flash presentation's. But now i am in to fulltime prepress work.

Is the method above I do is proffissonal or not. Is there any disadvantage in whic I do .

I know that we have to link every thing in quark or pagemaker.

Pls help

Regards
    Kapil

Professional? depends on your definition. If you are talking compared to what is standard in the industry... no it's not. Most designers use a layout program like Quark, ID or PM (though PM is no longer being produced).

however if your client/boss is happy with what you are doing then yes... it is professional.
    "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

I agree with Joe, and as Allen always says "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". I guess industry standard is Quark and moving into InDesign but there are alot of designers that do layout in Corel and have absolutely no problems with it and do great work.

If you guys are having no issues, and everything is running smooth, I would continue the route you are on. No sense in changing a good thing. I would only make the switch if problems were arising.
      I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

In a word: type. Corel is amazingly speedy and great, but it has nowhere near the type quality/flexibility/options that ID has. Especially for line composition, character level nested tags, and all those OT goodies. Especially for longer documents, this is a big saving. Then you get into multiple masters, leading grids, sections, index TOC, etc.

Rough layouts, concepts--- I often go to Corel for superfast presentation stuff that I will work up into a real layout app. And for pure logo, drawing, production grunt work-- Corel is still the fastest by far.

The good news is, even if you just use Corel for flyers you CAN take type composed in ID and cut and paste it directly into Draw with Oberon's AI clipboard macro set.

Comment

I use CorelDraw for a lot of large format stuff, and sometimes illustrator. I don't do a lot of multi page layout so CD works fine.
          Allen Harkleroad
          Father of Graphic Design Forum

"Bored? Who has time to be bored?"

Comment

Corel works great for multi-page layout too. As long at it's not over 16 pages.

If you're going from Corel to Indesign or Quark, you'll cry. Corel is a billion times more powerful than either program...but it just wasn't really designed for too many pages.

Comment

mmmmmm one tip i get.......

Comment

I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

Corel

I have been using Corel for almost 2.5 years now, and I have never had aproblem with it. In fact, I would much rather use Corel than Adobe for MOST designs. I say most because I know that Illustrator has its place, and Quark, etc. Corel is great though. I like it for its accuracy, and user-friendliness.

Check this out while you are at it:
                  http://www.shutterstock.blogspot.com
                  Check this out:

http://www.shutterstock.blogspot.com

Comment

Yep i agree with u u can zoom it 10,000 times and align things its grt

Comment

The only drawback to CorelDraw is it's PC Only. No longer Mac supported. Typical cross-platform stuff can happen. And .cdr files are not really supported by too many other programs. If you are using it in a dedicated environment, your printer is fine with it, and you're not shipping files to several other people using Macs that's fine. I don't run into Corel files too often unless it's for signage. Logo work. Most other stuff I handle is in some form of layout program. Like Broacher says, many use it to draw but not a lot for actual layout.

Comment

I still have CD11 on my Mac and CD12 on my PC, about the only time i use it for work that has to be printed is billboards, large format stuff, and other vinyl stuff like signage. For that to me it is indispensible.

Allen
                        Allen Harkleroad
                        Father of Graphic Design Forum

"Bored? Who has time to be bored?"

Comment

Originally posted by Allen Harkleroad
                          I still have CD11 on my Mac and CD12 on my PC, about the only time i use it for work that has to be printed is billboards, large format stuff, and other vinyl stuff like signage. For that to me it is indispensible.

Allen
                          Hay Allen,

When you design a billboard that is outside board what is the dpi u use or work on and what is the min dpi to work. My frnd says that 100 dpi will do is it correct. I feel 100 dpi is ok for text when you type in CD11 what about the images pleas give me a clear Picture

Comment

>>Yep i agree with u u can zoom it 10,000 times and align things its grt<

An itd even cumms with a spel chekker two!

Comment

hi yall,

i dont think, that CorelDraw is in any way professional. Whenever we have to work with a such a file because the client has send it, its like we sneer at that client and it also cast a poor light on the company from where the file came.

I can remember when i was 13/14 years old i was used to work with CorelDraw or even more Micrografx making my first steps and experiences with the PC and "Child-Art" on the computer.

And like someone allready said, in the after coming printing process....i dont know how to say.....they cant handle any "exotic" programs, sometimes only quark, and they know what a PDF is, but thats it. the printers dont get payed for knowing all the programs.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X