Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prepress which black or registration

Hi!
    Could someone please just give some brief points on when my text should be black and when it should be registration. Is 'rich black' the same as registration, or do I have to 'mix' it myself (K = 100% and C/M 40%)?

Your help is always apreciated.
    Cheers

Text should never be registration or rich black unless you want some angry pressmen. Registration should only be used for targets, ticks and non printing notes outside the margins. Rich black should be used for large areas of solid black only.

Comment

Exactly what i needed to know - thanks heaps!

Comment

Your welcome, and welcome to the forum

Comment

Out of interest Kool, what happens when you have a large are a of rich black (100%K/45%C) with reveresed out text (10pt). Should I be playing with the trapping settings on the cyan?

Comment

I've never bothered, cyan is light enough that a tiny bit out of register won't show up. Visually the black will dominate. I never trap text ever unless it's real big, like 200 pts AND a spot color.

Comment

fair enough. I've used a rich black with white-out text on business cards and the misregistered ones don't look too bad, but I wondering if there was anything I could do to reduce it. I'll probably just use 100% K next time

Comment

No you need to use rich black or it will often come out kind of dark gray. Just don't try and trap the text. It's not necessary, a few dots of 40% C M or Y won't be noticable unless you use loupe. What you are doing by using the rich black is making the ink a little thicker, a little heavier. to give you that deep dark look. The eye will just see the black because it is so dominate and will cancel out any bleed over.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• joshnx
                  Comment on Questions about your graphic design CV
                  joshnx
                  That's great advice BlueCrab, I too have noticed hiring managers just want to narrow down CV's using the software, so they won't really care if your CV hits the mark aesthetically as it searches keywords....
                  Today, 02:59 PM
                • praxis11
                  Reply to Time for a UX overhaul...opinions welcome
                  praxis11
                  Most noticeable is the lack of visual hierarchy, particularly on the home page. Makes it difficult to read, and is so off-putting to me that I'd probably click away were I a potential customer. The work...
                  Today, 02:20 PM
                • praxis11
                  Reply to I need your critiques
                  praxis11
                  The type is unreadable.
                  Today, 02:05 PM
                • praxis11
                  Reply to How to go about making important connections as a designer?
                  praxis11
                  You're asking advise for sharing the vision and values of several industries, not your own. If an artist in the music industry can change the world, for example, as a graphic designer you would only be...
                  Today, 02:02 PM
                • BlueCrab
                  Reply to Questions about your graphic design CV
                  BlueCrab
                  Some advice I was given was to always use a clean well structured word document first. This is because the hiring manager will often be using the scanning software you mentioned, and they are often not...
                  Today, 01:46 PM

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X