X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I go to print my work?

I'm at school right now, about to dropkick every printer here. The inkjet here has noticeable banding, even after I have the printer clean the heads. The large format printer just won't work at all. And every other printer is locked in a another room.

I want to print some pieces that will eventually be mounted and used in my portfolio. Do I go to a print shop, or are they only used for large quantities of prints?

What should I ask for? Thanks for any help..

Sorry for the amatuer ?'s, I'm just another student has plenty of design knowledge, but haven't been taught a damn thing about prepress and printing...its very frustrating.

kinkos is going to charge you alot for a piss poor product...usually, laser printing that doesnt turn out right IMO. can you invest in a printer? if so you could get one maybe 400
    Tapp-d
    "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

it could be a little costly, but probably not too bad, because there's not set up of plates and the like, but look for a shop with digital offset capabilities... better than that, if you can get all your pieces into one PDF, then technically, you can tell them it's only one job, just as long as there aren't a lot of different paper sizes. i'd also recommend finding some place that uses an HP Indigo, these are pretty darn fine presses, and the jobs are easy to run, so the cost is minimal, yet it's quite vibrant 4color offset...

one note with regard to the hp/indigo, it tends to band on solid colors, so you'll want to diffuse it a bit, or lose solid colors all together where you can... this machine prints pictures excellently...

my $.02

matt

Comment

Sometimes you can find an in-house printer that has less overhead and doesn't mind the occasional outside job, especially for that of a student. I found such a printer at my local Board of Realtors. Outstanding offset printing at very desirable low pricing. I have also used the inhouse shop of an insurance company and a teaching hospital as well.

They typically only print jobs for their membership or inhouse clients, but take in outside work to offset some of their own costs. They don't advertise, you just have to know they are there. Check with your Chamber of Commerce or local Paper Supplier if they know of inhouse print shops that are accessible.
        Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
        Through the Looking Glass

Comment

In-house shops are an excellent idea. Look for one in a non-profit organization. Hospitals are good possibility. That's what we do and we usually only charge cost so our large format prints are INSANELY cheap.

Also check out the local school system.
          You want it when!? Well in that case, let me pull my magic wand out of my ass and take care of that for you.

Comment

College towns usually have small, independantly owned copy shops that don't rip you off like kinko's. They generally have printers that are high quality enough for portfolios and assignments.

When I was in school I got to know the folks at Target Copy extremely well.

Comment

most sign shops will have a large format (36"-48") printer & will print for you on whatever paper they have in stock for $x.xx per sq. foot. good luck
              Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

Comment

Thanks for the info...most of the stuff I will be printing will be 8.5x11, mounted on a 11"x14" mounting board.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X