Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• DanCMU
    Reply to Break points and Responsive design
    DanCMU
    I'm a developer for a digital agency and can personally vouch for the benefit of mock-ups. How else can a developer code against a design if they don't exist? In terms of development/design time, desktop...
    Today, 09:01 AM
  • DanCMU
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    DanCMU
    On devices with retina displays, their resolution is high enough that it, effectively, resizes images to get them looking the right size (in a nutshell). This is often the cause of image problems like...
    Today, 08:56 AM
  • DanCMU
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    DanCMU
    Thanks very much, appreciate the feedback.

I did make all of the other letters gray, and it did emphasize the two "e"s but it then became a bit more difficult to distinguish the...
    Today, 08:40 AM
  • jessica21
    Reply to Steampunk Tea Brand Logo Critique- Trying to choose final concept
    jessica21
    Thanks CataclysmX and Designia! I will continue my search for the right typeface....
    Today, 05:24 AM
  • LumLum1013
    My thread went missing?
    LumLum1013
    I posted a new thread in The Crit Pit about a week ago. It was approved, a few members have replied to it and I was able to access it for few days.
    Then I received email notifications of a few new...
    Today, 04:25 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need spot color help in Photoshop 6.0

Can anyone please explain or point me in the direction of a complete understanding of how to build a spot color document in Photoshop to be placed into Quark for printing to a 4 color press.

Any help mucho appreciated!
    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Not sure about your question. are you looking for cmyk equivalents for spot colors?

Comment

Spot Color work is not PhotoShops forte

Hi,

Back in the good ole' days! We used to set up spot color jobs using the CMYK channels. We would arbitrarily say that Cyan was going to represent PMS 186 and Magenta was going to be PMS 109 or whatever. We would create the artwork and then when we ran out the 4-color seps we would strip them accordingly and burn the plates and when they went on press the pressman put in the appropriate inks rather than CMYK ink.

Having said that I can truthfully say that PhotoShop is not really geared for that kind of work and we generally avoided it like the plague. We only did what I stated above when we were desperate for a solution or when the solution required photoshop type traits. We generally did all our spot color work in Adobe Illustrator or MacroMedia FreeHand.

Now you can specify PMS colors in a DuoTone, Tri-Tone, or QuadTone but it won't really let you create spot color artwork while working in those modes.

Now a days PhotoShop does have the extra Alpha Channels which I understand some people use to specify spot colors. I believe anything you create in a given Alpha channel you can have come out on a seperate plate. And I believe you can even assign the PMS color to that channel so that it prints out on the plate film when it is imaged.

But I am not by any stretch of the imagination a PhotoShop Guru. I know absolutely enough to be VERY DANGEROUS!

I hope this helps. I am curious why you want to do this in PhotoShop rather than a vector program?

Randy

Comment

Personally, I don't ever do spot color with Photoshop UNLESS I am creating a halftone in a single PMS. I have even created duotones with PMS.

Simple high resolution (2400dpi) black and white bitmaps can be placed into Quark or InDesign and colorized to a spot Pantone color, but because it is not possible to trap your colors separately in Photoshop, printing spot colors next to or layered would be very difficult to do.

Does anyone build chokes and spreads anymore with film?

Photoshop raster images are perfect for RGB screen images, CMYK print images. The bitmapped image is translated into halftone dots and millions of colors are translated into 24 or 32-bit color and separated by Photoshop as a cmyk image.

Spot color is best created in vector software like Illustrator or Freehand where prepress or I can build a choke or spread into the art.
        Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
        Through the Looking Glass

Comment

Sorry I should have been more detailed in my posting.

We do a TON of ads, using photo's, backgrounds, type...etc. Alot of time jobs call for a certain spot color which I want to assign to say "type" or a "photo" or a "Background" (in the magazine we run all of our spots in the mag for the month in one color such as 485 or something like that to cut on cost) and I need to know how to do stuff in photoshop using channels or watever it may be to be absolutely correct when it comes out on press. NO EXCUSES, I need it to be perfect first time around, anyone with expierence using spot colors in photoshop please respond, i need an absolute answer to this.

sorry to be so blunt, ive had a shitty day *see blog* but any help none the less would rock, thanks.
          ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

OK I think I understand sort of. Just convert em to grayscale then change em to a PMS in quark, as Viki said. Really you could just leave em grayscale because the pressman can print them any color they need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Frag
              Sorry I should have been more detailed in my posting.

We do a TON of ads, using photo's, backgrounds, type...etc. Alot of time jobs call for a certain spot color which I want to assign to say "type" or a "photo" or a "Background" (in the magazine we run all of our spots in the mag for the month in one color such as 485 or something like that to cut on cost) and I need to know how to do stuff in photoshop using channels or watever it may be to be absolutely correct when it comes out on press. NO EXCUSES, I need it to be perfect first time around, anyone with expierence using spot colors in photoshop please respond, i need an absolute answer to this.

sorry to be so blunt, ive had a shitty day *see blog* but any help none the less would rock, thanks.
              I don't know if I am understanding you correctly, but....if you are trying to match a spot pms with a color photo, I have had some success getting a densitometer (info) reading on the cmyk and tweaking the cmyk channels in the Curves menu to get as close as possible to the cmyk breakdown of the pms you are targeting. You can't get a perfect match all over, but you can get close. I have had to do this for catalog products in the decor/fashion color industry. These are critical matches.

Otherwise, if you are trying to set up a monotone, duotone, tritone or quadtone to match pms colors, email me and I can try to help.
              Last edited by Vikia; 05-14-2005, 03:33 PM.
              Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
              Through the Looking Glass

Comment

Try using the channels

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X