X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID -> PDF; how to optomize file size?

I am working on a flyer that measures 8.5 x 11", printing 4CP/0 with full bleeds.

There are 5 photos anda textured background on the flyer that were set up in Photoshop (version 7 for PC). The photos are set up at the correct print size at 300 dpi.

The file is set up in ID version 2 for PC, and when I export it as a pdf it is still 14MB. I would like to make the file smaller without losing any quality, and I could use some advice if anyone has any tips.

The settings I am currently using:

General: I select "press"

Compression:

color bmp images: bicubic downsample to 300dpi
    compression: automatic
    quality: maximum

grayscale bmp: bicubic downsample to 300dpi
    compression: automatic
    quality: maximum

monochrome bmp: bicubic downsample to 1200dpi
    compression: ccitt group 4

I unchecked "compress text and line art," but it defaults to checked.

Advanced: color - CMYK
    Transparency flattener - high res

Anybody got any ideas?
    Last edited by morea; 05-23-2005, 03:59 PM. Reason: it's Monday and I can't spell. Leave me alone.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

btw, I have saved the images as tif files, and they are huge (like 5 MB each).

would the quality suffer if I save them as Photoshop PDF or even (gasp) jpg files?
    I did remember to flatten the images before placing them. (I still have the layered files saved separately though.)

Comment

Are the photos in ID 'to scale', that is to ask are you resizing any of the placed images? Resize them to the exact height/width before placing them in ID. Try and make sure all your placed images (background included) are at 100% height/width.

That may knock some of the file size down.
      Last edited by emel; 05-23-2005, 03:55 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

unfortunately the images are set up at 300 dpi at actual print size.

As for the textured background, I even split that into 1/4ths so I can place the same file 4 times instead of the one huge file... but that didn't seem to help much either.

Comment

Originally posted by morea
          or even (gasp) jpg files?
          Maybe worth a shot. I have used high resolution jpgs before placed in documents and they turned out fine.

Comment

Hmm. Are you working with a bunch of transparencies? If so you may try to rasterize them before creating the PDF?

Comment

no transparencies, and I even tried flattening the ID document, to no avail.

also tried rebuilding it in ID using high res jpgs, and I am still ending up with a file that is 13.5 MB.

I wonder if it would work better if I ran it through Distiller instead of exporting as a pdf... but I don't have distiller here. Ack.

Comment

14 megs is about right for this file. I wouldn't go the jpg route. I don't think you are gonna get it any smaller without taking the res down and you don't want to do that.

Comment

the "packaged" folder for the document with the tifs is 32 MB, and that pdf comes out to 14 MB

the jpg "packaged" folder is 16 MB, and that pdf still comes out 13.5 MB! Something's screwy here.

Comment

additionally, Friday when I was working on the same darned file I was getting a 3 MB pdf. So I am totally confused.

Comment

okey dokie, I'd rather be safe than sorry as far as the quality goes.

Guess I'll be sending a cd instead of emailing the file!

Comment

You shouldn't need to include the tiffs packaged with the pdf. you are in effect sending them twice.

Comment

nah, the math just seemed off to me.

I only planned to send the pdf, but my blasted connection doesn't handle much more than 5 MB at a time.

Comment

Distiller may get rid of superflous PostScript, but I have a sneaking hunch that ID is quietly using a form of distiller in the background, even if you don't have it installed separately.

I am a novice ID user though so I am guessing there.

Comment

I hear that! I've only been on ID for a few months myself. Live and learn.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X