Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Color swatch assistance
    KitchWitch
    Hi Platinumaa and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
    Today, 03:36 PM
  • The01printer
    Reply to Bedroom Adobe
    The01printer
    Every time I get on here I realize how much I don't know about design! There are some really smart cookies on here and I learn a lot by reading all the posts! No one person will ever know it all and that...
    Today, 03:31 PM
  • Red Kittie Kat
    Happy Friday!!
    Red Kittie Kat
    Happy Friday Gang!!

No power for a while this morning and feeling like a truck hit me the past couple days with my sinus issues ... makes for a not so creative Kat

Enjoy
    Today, 03:29 PM
  • terrytruett
    Reply to Illustrator Gradient Issue Help
    terrytruett
    You guys rock! Customer provided art for me to finish. Never did check to see color mode, Me bad. Changed all to rgb and all is well with the world!

THANKS!!!!!!

Thanks...
    Today, 02:33 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to lolanimals
    KitchWitch
    Today, 02:18 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing separations on non postscript inkjet printer?

Anyone know how to print separations on a non-postscript inkjet printer? Thanks

I don't know if you're on a PC or a Mac, but on a PC, you can print separations from whatever application you are using to a .PRN file. Take that PRN file, Distill it into a PDF and lo and behold, you will have your colour seps...

However, the halftoning will not be right, so you won't be able to actually USE the seps as camera-ready, just for proofing. (You should NEVER use ink-jet prints as camera-ready artwork)

If you need the halftoning ito come accross intact, you will have to find an inkjet rip program. There used to be a program called GhostScript, which was a postscript interpreter you could use to print postscript files to an inkjet. I haven't used it in about 7 years, so I don't know if they're still around.

Comment

It's just for proofing. My question was for my Mac which is what I use for most of my work but now that you brought it up, I'll check into the PC method you described. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Couldn't you just export your design to a pdf with the color separation box checked. This would create a pdf file with all the plates separated on separate pages.
        Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
        http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

I looked into the pdf export but I don't see any check box for separations. Am I missing something?

Comment

This screenshot was taken from the quark export layout as pdf options. By clicking separations instead of composite you will get a pdf file that is already separated.
            Attached Files
            Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.

Comment

You didn't say what app you're printing out of. PDF will work as a 'softrip' for most non-ps printers, but not all things work. Reversals on HP are prone to not working. So are some outline effects. Usually configuring the print driver to go to raster, while slower, will work.

As far as I know, PageMaker is the only layout app that actually will print seps directly to non-ps apps. Only, if there's EPS files on page, I don't think it'll process those.

CorelDraw does print seps to non-ps printers too. It also comes with full sreen, zoomable preview. Same thing about placed EPS (but you can use the PS interpreter to get around that), and any exclusive postscript functions like screen settings on inks, or PS fills (the latter is convertible). But just remember, that Corel is not really for long documents.

Comment

I love CorelDraw but i could not imagine doing a multiple page layout in it
                Allen Harkleroad
                Father of Graphic Design Forum

"Bored? Who has time to be bored?"

Comment

I mostly work in Illustrator & Photshop. I have a very old version of Quark. I think it is 4.0? I'm not sure, I'll have to check when I get home. I don't know if it even exports .pdf files. I also have Pagemaker that I will look into. Now that you brought it up, I think I remember seeing that capability in Pagemaker. Thanks I'll look into it.

For MD, how do you do that screen shot?

Comment

Command - Shift - 3

Comment

CorelDraw

As we call it, Corel Hell!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X