Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• seamas
    Reply to Help with a graphic technique
    seamas
    Get an image of clouds that suits your fancy--or just go outside and take a photo on the appropriate day.

(taking photos of an assortment of textures should be something a designer does as...
    Today, 02:47 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    PrintDriver
    sounds like a student question.
    Writing an essay?
    You tell us what you think the answer is and maybe we'll tell you if you are right.
    Today, 01:50 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to business card design
    Cosmo
    I'll stand by what I said earlier - the QR code is too small. The orange trapping into the blue is going to cause problems. See in your image where it says "Sales Team" and it looks like it's...
    Today, 01:04 PM
  • garricks
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    garricks
    Coming from another point of view, why put such a tiny portfolio on a business card when you can put a URL to your online portfolio, which will much better represent you?
    Today, 12:57 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    KitchWitch
    Hi Jenniferzoe and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
    Today, 12:05 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biz Card Cutter

My current company is branching out into small format color printing after 40 years of large format printing. So they have no experience and are looking to me and my nine months experience at a quick printer. They have a brand new color Canon and they are looking to branch out into business cards, but they don't have suitable accomodations. They have a huge blade cutter straight out of the Smithsonian, which lacks the precision to do business cards. It works fine cutting schematics and what not. They are looking to update it with digital controls similar to something we used at the quick printer. It's a breeze, you can enter programs and the machine takes care of it. Without spending an arm and a leg so soon, they are look at a business card cutter. This is the one they are looking at Model 410. It's great for doing regular cards with no bleeds or a solid bleed, but you run into problems when you get creative and do uncommon bleeds. You can still do some cuts if at least one of the edges have a common bleed.

Is this the best way to go?
    Is this a good cutter?
    It says it has an one cutting blade for custom cuts, how useful is that?
    What would you recommend?
    Is there other things we should be looking at?
    Any suggestions?

Looking for advice or ideas here.
    Less be more.

Why limit yourself to a business card cutter? Why not a regular guillotine like a small challenge cutter?

Comment

Aren't those are fairly more expensive? We're looking to something to get us by until we can buy a larger programmable guillotine cutter. A small one would be a waste at a largely large format printer.
      Less be more.

Comment

For $1700 to "get by" doesn't the 410 limit you to JUST business cards? AND you have to use a 10-up/12-up template? What if someone does postcards?

I'd get a used 20' manual guillotine for about a grand. Those things never break. That way you can do any cut you want, including custom bleeds, postcards, whatever... And you wouldn't have to rely on HOPING that the template would fit, and you could do ledger size on the Canon instead of letter all the time...

Iddunno.... That 410 just doen't look flexible enough. The perfing is cool. But how many does it cut at a time? it looks tiny and goofy.

Just my personal opinion of course.

Comment

Well stated, and I totally agree. You made some valid points, and I'll be sure to present them. I want to see if anyone else weighs in on the issue.
          Less be more.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X