Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• salsa
    Reply to Design Quotes
    salsa
    They want you to do a mock quote and didn't tell you how to do it? That's strange that they would even do this because there are a lot of steps in the real world of business that you have to go through...
    Today, 02:33 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to New Logo for a Glass Bottle Cutting Device
    Buda
    I don't see any progression. It's the same concept.

Try and work on some more interesting concepts.

Things to think about:
    Who is the target market?
    What is the...
    Today, 01:51 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Critique for my logos
    Buda
    What is your background? Are you a student or a designer?

These don't look like real logos to me because they can't be used in the real world. It looks like you have thought up concepts but...
    Today, 01:47 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to (Possibly) doing a commission for the first time, need intro
    Buda
    Just curious if you are thinking of using copyright and trademarked comic book and movie characters in your design?
    Today, 01:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Design Quotes
    Buda
    Hi c_fowler336 and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain...
    Today, 01:37 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double sided Cards

Hi, I was hoping someone can shed light on my question as I know most of you here are seasoned graphics designer.

I am making a doublesided business cards and I was wondering if I should save two separate files for the front and back side of the card OR should I just save them in one file where in the layer for the backface is disabled? Or these steps are both wrong and there is a much standard way of approaching this problem?

Thanks very much for your time.
    J

best to call the printer and have them specify... at least that would be my first approach.

Comment

Personally, I save them as 2 seperate files. I never give the printer a chance to see my layers, I flatten it (when and if I ever used Photoshop to do a business card). Then I place those 2 files in one folder.

Note: Photoshop doesn't produce text as sharp as it would in illy. I'd suggest you do the photoshoping, save the file as .tiff, import it into Illy, then place your text on top. Then you'll get nice and sharp text. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Right on Kink. Definitely go vector for the text element. I've done a few biz cards and I've always supplied two separate files for front and back (with the words "front" and "back" in the corresponding files so the printer can't f it up!)
        Official lunchboxbrain blog

Comment

Thank you very much for your advise.

Just some clarification on Kink's point on the fonts and layers, I thought printers prefer to layered psds in case they need to do some small changes on the file? And with regards to font going vector, do you think it is best that I convert the text into shape in psd to produce sharp texts? Thanks again.

Comment

I've heard that about Illustrator providing better text clarity, but I haven't been in a situation yet where I can really see the difference.

Isn't the text in Photoshop vectorized to begin with anyway? Hence the reason you can implement it at any size in Photoshop without pixelization? The only time it seems to really rasterize it is when you want to edit the text layer with graphics.
            Creativity is taking what is and bringing in what isn't.

Comment

Kink, what is a printer going to do with your files? Sell them?
              It's the client you have to worry about messing with your stuff.

I'd prefer to receive files in native format unflattened but if you send pdf or flat art, that's what I'll print - if it rips.

For business cards it's usually up to the print vendor what they'll take. Some of those online companies only want tif or jpg.

2 files generally, front and back and I usually send along a paper mockup so they get the back on right side up. There is the occasional client who likes the reverse side upside down so the card flips conveniantly. Vertical cards present choices too.

Comment

Thank you very much guys you really are life saver.

Comment

I think tZ's advice is the best. Call the printer you are going to use and ask how they would prefer the files be delivered. It's amazing how much specifications/desires will differ from printer to printer. I'd rather have the correct specs - than have my assumptions cause me to waste the time of my printers or myself.

- J.
                  Last edited by Jeff Fisher LogoMotives; 07-28-2005, 01:36 PM.
                  Jeff Fisher | Engineer of Creative Identity
                  Jeff Fisher LogoMotives | Twoot! Twoot!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X