Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publisher Files...Uuuugggh

My very first thread!

I'm sure that this issue has come up many times in the past, but here it goes...

Our small company that I've now worked for 4 months now, just got computer to plate...woo hoo! I've also talked my boss into getting the
    Adobe® Creative Suite 2. So now we should be all set to go. Everything is working GREAT! (Props to Adobe!)

However...I had a client send me a 4 color PDF made from Publisher. Can I color break that??? Using Acrobat Proffessional? Just using Photoshop and sending to our DPM (computer to plate)?

How about a 2 color?

Here's 10+ years of Publisher headaches...

It really pains me to say that...yes, I've had good luck postscripting my files and running them through Distiller. Then take the pdf and place into InDesign or Quark if you don't have CS yet. If you don't have Pitstop yet, you may want to put in a request for that also, so you can do some manipulation with the pdf if needed (a pretty good chance).

You will need to make sure and go into the menu Tools and Commercial Printing Tools. Convert your colors accordingly.

When you got to Print, go into Advanced Print Settings and adjust Separations accordingly for CMYK or spot colors. Make sure to check your appropriate resolution. Under page settings, check or uncheck the appropriate boxes (except Allow Bleeds if it has bleeds).

When in the print window, you will have to go into the Properties for your selected print driver and go into Advanced to set a custom page size for pages with bleeds.

It takes a lot of messing around but you can do it.
    And yes, you will get REALLY frustrated the first 30 or 40 times.

Good luck!
    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by christydezignz
      However...I had a client send me a 4 color PDF made from Publisher. Can I color break that??? Using Acrobat Proffessional? Just using Photoshop and sending to our DPM (computer to plate)?
      Don't take your pdf into Photoshop. Use Illustrator. Photoshop will rasterize your type and your pressman will dislike you tremendously. Illustrator will allow you to, in most cases, edit the file, too.
      People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Thank you...sounds like a learning process. I do have CS2 already...I've color broke it though Acrobat Professional, but it's hard to say unless we actually put it on the press.

I like your idea of using Illustrator...Illustrator amazes me more and more. I bet that would work...I'll try it tomarrow.

Comment

PDF and Illy are pretty much interchangable, as long as the pdf isn't one big honking image.

Comment

Or someone didn't save it with Illustrator editting ability turned off.
            Even better are the passwords.

Comment

Watchout for that wonderful rich black text. Pressmen just love it too.
              WYSIWYG

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
              Working...
              X