Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo restoration for Katrina (Pinned)

So I was wondering, has anyone heard anything about people offering their Photoshop skills to help salvage some damaged photos due to Katrina? I know it's a drop in the bucket but I can't really do anything else to help and I feel so helpless. If there isn't something like that then maybe we should start something. I know some of the people down there would really appreciate it.

This is a wonderful, awesome, great idea. And I would really like to offer some help too. I don't really know how to do it, maybe contact my local TV stations or something. Hmmmm, I might even make a post on craigslist in New Orleans.

I also donated money, even though I don't have a job and I am completly broke...I just felt that I needed to help in some way.

Anyone else down to help out with Katrina using your photoshop skills? If you are, just post, ill gather a list and see what I can do.
    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

This is actually a wonderful offer. My family nearly lost all our treasured photos after a tornado that leveled my mom & dad's home. Luckily I had those skills and I have restored all that we were able to salvage, even if we just had negs. It was one thing that meant a great deal to my mother.
      Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
      Through the Looking Glass

Comment

great idea!
        "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Ok, i made a post on craigslist in New Orleans, you can view it here...

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/vol/

Its not up live yet, im sure they are getting bogged down on the board, but eventually it will be up, I already published it from my email. And I gave www.graphicdesignforum.com credit, so if anyone from here wants to help out. now is the time
          ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

oh yeah, we should sticky this thread too

Comment

Good Job D-Frag, count me in. I am pretty dang good at photo restoration and would love to help.
              Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
              Through the Looking Glass

Comment

Wow this is great! So far I've forwarded the same message to people at howdesign (with not much of a response) and with my schools design group (Columbia college Chicago students in design). I've also sent a message to NBC 5 in Chicago but I doubt I'll get a response anytime soon from the news. Thanks D-frag for posting on craigslist New Orleans, I sent you an e-mail without checking here first.

Comment

i'm not the greatest photo retoucher out there but will help & do what i can. count me in
                  Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

Comment

A very good idea. Im in.

Comment

JM will be running ads for the donations for the victims of Katrina effort, for this month.
                      The premier New York Rangers forum on the web

Comment

i'm in as well. Is there going to be a list made of who to go through, or is it just seek and find?

Comment

So far I will try and cordinate all of the efforts, via email. I will make a list, and if this actually gets any demand, then assign people to certain "jobs." I will do the majority of the work, such as scanning, mailing, etc. but if anyone else wants to help in other ways, it will be appreciated.

I will keep you all posted on what happens.

Comment

cool. Are we restoring them to disc, or to print?

Comment

I would like to restore them to digital, but we can do watever is easier. Digital would be the easy way, esp considering we could just post them to a site and have the user download it, and print it out. CD's are dirt cheap, if someone sends in say 10-15 photos, I would say burn it to disc and mail it back to them.

So far though, I think it might be to early for something like this, I haven't gotten any responses from people in need, only people willing to help....sooooo, we can just wait it out. I will make another post on craigslist within the next week, to keep the informatino available to those who need it. Its a waiting game now.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X