X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality Printing

Does anyone have any experience with an online printing company? I am looking for someone with a good reputation to print posters (offset).

Thank U

size requirments

I work at one...we do letter size, but it might not be appropriate...

I recommend checking out Udesignweprint.com or 48hourprint.com

Call them, check out their website, get quotes, find out about color shifts and anything in their process you should know about. I have helped people print with vistaprint, but I do it to assure the files are setup right
    Tapp-d
    "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Go local.
      Better control.

Comment

What????

Originally posted by PrintDriver
        Go local.
        Better control.
        PD - Local is the World

.....Well at least Nationwide

I own an online company and can give you some general Guidelines on using any of them.

Most want a high res PDF with bleeds and fonts outlined, but will usually “help” you with your native files..
        Most will want you to choose from what they have available for stock

What to look for in any online printer:
        How long have they been in business (Ask this to any vendor)
        File policies when uploaded.
        How easy are they to get a hold of (Regardless if there is a problem)
        Is the Pricing Quote correct - Does it included shipping? Sales Tax?
        Is the site secure - (Https)...Most are these days.
        What is their standard turn policy on your job.
        Can they tell you how long shipping will take to reach you
        What are the up-charges for rush jobs
        Do they offer other items that are not on the site.

If you have any additional questions – you can contact me direct through our website
        Joe Davis

There are 3 types of people....Those who make things happen......Those who watch things happen.....and those who wonder what happened.

Comment

color, color, color.

That is where many (not all) on-lines fall down. They're so interested in speedy turnaround and the next job, something has to fall by the wayside. Sometimes it's color, sometimes it's print quality (as fast as the machine can print without it looking absolutely horrid, only mildly so).

And that's not to say a B&M won't screw up either...

As Joe says, interview the service you'll use, don't just blindly send your files off into the ether and hope a good print comes back based on a forum say-so. A little research, ask for samples, ask for spec sheets, ask for color management... A little time invested up front will save you loads down the road.

I'm still for the local where I can courier the prints if I need to rather than wait overnight.

Comment

I have to agree with everything that PD has said here. I have used some online printers with no problems but I still prefer my local one whenever possible. Its just comforting I guess.
            I blog, you blog, we all blog!

Comment

color, color, color.

That is where many (not all) on-lines fall down. They're so interested in speedy turnaround and the next job, something has to fall by the wayside. Sometimes it's color, sometimes it's print quality (as fast as the machine can print without it looking absolutely horrid, only mildly so).
              Absolutely!!!

Most online companies “Gang” run jobs to save money (We do as well). Many do NOT offer custom runs (We do!) New presses are so good these days, that gang runs are just as good as paying the high price for a custom run.

In our shop, the tolerances for acceptable color shift is “looser” than for custom runs. In other words, if you ran the same file every month for a year, the Custom run should look pretty much the same from run to run, but the Online will vary in Color, usually lighter to heavier. We have a bank of 40” Presses running 24/7. There is no way to make sure the same job runs on the same press with the same operator. That’s the trade off in price. We have a program that will gang like images together to make sure you don’t have say a red solid background running ahead of a light blue. This keeps the color consistent, but again, some press runs end up heavier than others.

The best way to combat this problem is to run what you need, or more than what you need. In the example above, if you ran all 12 months worth at one time, you would be hard pressed to find the quality different than a Custom run.

The only real issue we come across is Shipping. People don’t realize how heavy printing is, and they don’t realize how long UPS takes to cross the country. Again, most Online printers have factored this in and have made sure the overall printing price is less, even with the shipping costs added in. But, it still takes up to 5 days to cross the country.

Bottom line....Us Online Printers have our place. If the project fits, it’s a way to add an additional revenue stream to your company. If the project doesn’t fit.....Unless you have a great relationship with an Online printer that does custom work, I would stick to your local printer.
              Joe Davis

There are 3 types of people....Those who make things happen......Those who watch things happen.....and those who wonder what happened.

Comment

Thanks Joe. That's a really good explanation of how and why On-line printing works.

Comment

Thanks Joe. That's a really good explanation of how and why On-line printing works.
                  It is a different world....I've spent my entire career in Pre-Press & Design. My wife has spent her entire Life in Commercial Printing and owned her company for 25+ years. If you had asked me 11 years ago when I started this company if this is the direction we would end up, I would have laughed. My wife on the other hand, has been boasting that this where Printing would end up as the Internet gained acceptance.

Part of the real fun.......dealing with all the different files from the different retail programs out there. A good daily laugh......seeing what is designed in our Online Design program....
                  Joe Davis

Comment

Hey step I'm with one of your competitors, some how people seem to think we're the best, but I know otherwise. I only work here tho, and hopefully that'll end over the next couple weeks

your company sounds like they print a very nice product, hold onto that, it'll seperate you from the big corp monsters
                    Last edited by Drorain; 09-09-2005, 07:01 PM.
                    Tapp-d
                    "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Drorain
                      your company sounds like they print a very nice product, hold onto that, it'll seperate you from the big corp monsters
                      Drorain - My Partners and I agreed from the beginning that everyone from the top down would be accessible. We also agreed that everyone at the top has a minimum of 20 years in Commercial and had come up through the trenches. So far, that has worked for us to keep a quality product flowing......We are growing fast, though....I will do my best to keep that philosophy as we grow.

I hope you land somewhere fun when you leave your current position....if not, let me know....
                      Joe Davis

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                      Working...
                      X