Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• approveme
    Reply to Hardware, Software Advice
    approveme
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to this forum, hope you enjoy here.
    Today, 05:59 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to What do you think of my video game cover art?
    Roth
    This is inferior to the original in every way. PD made some very good points already to do with hierarchy, and energy. There are basically three elements, the figure, the name, and the background, so...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to Logo for a supplement company
    Roth
    This is a bit of a stretch. It's like you saw the H in the weights, ran with it, hit a creative wall and tried really hard to make the rest fit. The logo and name are out of proportion to one another...
    Yesterday, 11:50 PM
  • extraordenary
    extraordenary
    Professional designers either create the images themselves, or get it from someone else with respects to the copyrights. Designers often make sure that the image they have is royalty-free so they don't...
    Yesterday, 11:14 PM
  • graphic91
    graphic91
    Umm...really? I know about the design rules, but where to look first? There's not that much information or "look-at-mes" on it and it's just the cover of a video game. Most people who want to...
    Yesterday, 10:34 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question reg. Logo size

Hello all,
    Just registered after reading some very informative threads that cleared up a few issues I had, but one.

The question I have is pretty simple.
    What is the ideal size (In px, cn, in, etc etc...) to create logo's? I've done a few at 300px by 300px and the one or two letters I use in the logo, still some how seem/show pixelation. Should I be using a higher size? like 600x600? That seems too large. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

I tried to search before I asked, but didnt quiet find what I was looking for.

topik
    (Great site BTW.)

If you're doing the logos in Illustrator or another vector program (which you should be doing) they shouldn't show pixelation at any size...
    S.
    SIZE DOES MATTER!

Comment

^^ what he said. You really do need to design logos in a vector based program like Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, or Macromedia Freehand.

If you don't you could run into resizing issues down the road and have to start from scratch.

Check this article: An Explanation of Raster vs. Vector
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

WHOA that was fast...lol
        THANKS!

I am using Illustrator, sorry I forgot to mention that earlier.
        This is what I am talking about. As you will see that file is 300px by 400px and as you can see in the background the letters look pixelated.

http://djtopik.com/screen.JPG

Could is be it is just because I am zooming in too much? Doesn't seem like it...

Is 300px by 300px an ok size for logo's? Should I be doing it in cm, or in?

Thanks,
        topik

Comment

it does look pixellated - was the file actually created in Illustrator, or just opened in Illustrator?

you will want to make sure you save it in vector format so it retains the ability to scale... save as an .ai, .eps, or .pdf instead of .jpg

Comment

Do a Control-A (Select All) and then give us a screen shot and we can tell if it is vectorized or not.
            Less be more.

Comment

I assume that the jpg was just for the screen shot... It should be fine at 300x300 no need to change the size, just maybe have to rebuild in Illy because that absolutly should not happen if you made it from scratch there in the first place!
              SIZE DOES MATTER!

Comment

Ok guys here is a screen shot of what it looks like if I view the file in ILLY at 100%

http://djtopik.com/100.JPG

and this is was it looks like when I view the file in ILLY at "fit to screen" You can start to see the pixelation (of text only) when I zoom in.

http://djtopik.com/fit2screen.JPG

File was created in ILLY and is being saved as such file. (.AI)

What could I be doing wrong?

Thank you,
                topik

Comment

Select All and Convert to outlines and then show us. That doesn't look vectorized to my eyes.
                  Less be more.

Comment

It's not, Did you place those images?
                    Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                    http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

or you rasterized them somehow...
                      SIZE DOES MATTER!

Comment

ok here it is.

http://djtopik.com/outlines.JPG

This is a compare of the file in question and a new file with the same text, zoomed in about the same.

http://djtopik.com/compare.JPG

Could it be the globe? That was not created in ILLY. Taken from a bmp, converted to jpg and manipulated in PS, then I brought it into the ILLY file using the place command. Is it that?

Thanks for the responses,
                        topik

Comment

that means that it is actually a raster image placed in a vector program.

You will probably need to recreate it in Illustrator (the pen tool can be your friend!) in order to make it scalable.

Comment

You might not need to redraw, that looks like clip art, check your books first.

Or try out the new trace command in illustrator CS2 - it works pretty good
                            Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                            http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

morea,

The globe is a raster image, but the text are not.
                              Does that mean the the placed raster image effect vector items?

Maybe something got messed up during the placing on the globe that effected the text?

Here is a new file with the globe image placed into it.

http://djtopik.com/new.JPG

no pixelation.... hmmm...

what am I missing here?

No CS2 ILLY here at work, but I will try at home. Thanks.

Thanks everyone you've helped a great deal.

topik

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X