X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help a student graphic designer out

Hi, I am starting on this new problem for my typography class, which is being done on computers. I am creating a book about my graphic designer which I had to do a research on (josef muller brockmann). However, I was expecting to find the fonts that i want to use which is Bodoni and maybe Univers already on my computer However, I do not have them and I surfed the net for them and found that I have to pay for those font packages, which I cannot afford at the moment. Is there anyway I can get ahold of those fonts for free? I asked some of my friends in my graphic design classes and most of them said that it came with thier computer.

what should i do? thanks

Bodini did not come with my computer, Univers might have I can't remember. But there are a bazillion versions of "Bodini" out there, it's been "re-created" many many times. I only have a knock off version that I bought at Font Site.

There are expensive versions, affordable versions and I've even seen free versions (usually called something different like "Bodin" or "Berdini" -- though I'm not sure I'd trust those). Of course, if you're looking for the original Bodini, it's probably going to cost some $$.
    Last edited by EC; 11-26-2005, 07:30 PM.
    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

The right thing to do is shell out for the font.
      GDF doesn't support piracy in any of it's forms and we aren't a lending library.

EC is right though. You may be able to find a Freeware font that is similar and may be ok to use for a school project. Just know that Freeware fonts aren't always properly mapped and don't always work well for professional printed work.

Good luck with your project.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
        The right thing to do is shell out for the font.
        GDF doesn't support piracy in any of it's forms and we aren't a lending library.

EC is right though. You may be able to find a Freeware font that is similar and may be ok to use for a school project. Just know that Freeware fonts aren't always properly mapped and don't always work well for professional printed work.

Good luck with your project.
        yea thats what i am gonna have to do. I am not a professional graphic designer yet. I kno that I can use those 'knocked' off fonts. But this project is important to me since its going to be a big chunk of my grade as well as for my sophomore portfolio review next semester. So, I guess I'm gonna buy a few fonts off of linotype website. CRAFT is very important for my professor ( Ken O'Grady which i'm sure you've heard of him in HOW magazine). So i am gonna have to go that route.

thanks.

Comment

Well. The good news is, they're fonts you'll have and use forever!
          You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

On the other hand, if it comes down to it, you can sub those fonts for similar, more common ones. For example:
            Univers cound very easily be swapped out with some Helvetica weights, although Akzidenz Grotesk is probably a better route.
            Some of the heavier weights in Garamond could also work for Bodoni (that's presuming all my neurons are firing at the moment).

You can try this link to find suitable alternatives. I've used it successfully in the past whenever I've needed to figure out what font a client may have mangled and distorted-- I'm sorry, I meant "altered" and "cutomized."

http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/SearchBySight.htm

Good luck!
            r
            Come check out my stuff!
            www.armstrongcreativedesigns.com

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X