X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design Magazines, Read Any?

I went to the bookstore and was flipping through several design magazines, hoping to get ideas, but also looking for something good to subscribe to. I noticed almost all of them have at least one add on a super thick paper with either an emboss or die cut, advertising the paper itself. It makes them so hard to fold!

Anyway, here is my review of several of those:

Graphic Design (the magazine): A good variety of design for print, funiture, advertising and such.

I.D.: Most focuses on industrial and product design.

Communication Arts: Lots of random things, but still a lot of product design.

HOW: Kind of interesting. General design issues. Looked at the "advertising special issue" so maybe I'm not getting the real thing.

Graphic Design:USA: Its like reading someone's college essay on design. Some of the best work in there though.

CKMY: Really liked this one because it had the most pratical printed pieces in there...meaning they served a function rather than just being pretty or creative.

Any magazines you'd like to add comments to, or any others I didn't mention?
    Broke or just cheap? Read my list of free open source alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite software.

I'm thinking of getting a subscription to Before & After. I occassionally pick up HOW and Comm Arts at Barnes, depending on what the issue features.
    You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on. --GWB

Comment

I read a few you aren't going to find at B&N.
      The Big Picture by far the best in the wide format category and right on top of the arena.
      Digital Output tends to cater to their large advertisers so product reviews are suspect but generally has some good info and good photos of projects and design.
      POPdesign trade magazine with more resource info than design info
      Sign of the Times Good signage resource
      Exhibitor Magazine Good tradeshow/exhibit resource
      TCI Theatre Crafts International - theatre industry news. Lots of stage design articles and interviews.

Plus a couple of others we just started subscriptions to. Some good, but too early to
      list here.

Comment

Originally posted by EC
        I'm thinking of getting a subscription to Before & After. I occassionally pick up HOW and Comm Arts at Barnes, depending on what the issue features.
        I LOVE Before & After... I used to have subscription many years ago before they disappeared for a while. Glad they're back, it's VERY handy and lots of great ideas and how to's.

Comment

There's also STEP which I have only seen twice, but seemed to favor useful articles to showcased pieces.
          Former GD. Current Photographer
          http://ascottmccauley.com/

Comment

Here's a link to a large number of design magazines around the world: Design Media Network

- J.
            Jeff Fisher | Engineer of Creative Identity
            Jeff Fisher LogoMotives | Twoot! Twoot!

Comment

Dynamic Graphics
              Communication Arts
              HOW
              Marketing tips

Comment

check out these threads which discuss design magazines.

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=12141

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=11528
                "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

I just ordered myself a subscription to Comm. Arts, it's about 50% less than the newstand.

Printdriver, thanks for those other ones, that Big Picture one is free for a year!

And I like the looks of the before&after

-Django

Comment

I have a subscription to Computer Arts Projects, Occationally I'll pick up Communication Arts.

Comment

Nope can't read...oh doh! I just gave myself away by answering this thread. Darn it!! :P

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X