Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• skribe
    Reply to New Firefox Developer Edition
    skribe
    I still using both actually. I think Chrome's responsive and mobile views/tools are nicer than Firefox, and since I have taken to using Brackets text editor for doing a lot of my development work, I end...
    Today, 12:02 PM
  • skribe
    Reply to New Firefox Developer Edition
    skribe
    Welcome abivillanueva!

As you are a new member please take a few minutes and read though our rules and guidelines for new members. The following links should get you up to speed.
    Today, 11:58 AM
  • StudioMonkey
    Reply to Anyone else only have a diploma┬┐?
    StudioMonkey
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Frodo. Don't give up - your skills are valuable. Maybe you need to look at a different job title than Graphic Designer. Studio artworker, Mac operator, etc. all...
    Today, 11:50 AM
  • ChrisDudley
    Reply to Create neural looking network in Illustrator
    ChrisDudley
    I would recommend drawing it by hand, scanning in and tracing it if you're looking to create something that actually looks like a neural network. There's no setting in Illustrator that's going to take...
    Today, 10:03 AM
  • ChrisDudley
    Reply to Working on a logo for myself
    ChrisDudley
    I think this is a case of having settled too early in the design process. I do like the idea - breathing life into old designs. I think that has legs. But I don't love the execution particularly, specifically...
    Today, 09:56 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a back drop display

I am new to this so please bare with me. I have been asked to create a back drop for a friend of mine that she can use for functions, displays etc... It's for one of those roll up vinyl diplay units, size is 23.39 inches X 33.11 inches.

I am unsure how I would create the layout for this. Would I create an image at full size using these dimensions? I use Photoshop, Illustrator, & Freehand. Would I create a new project using 23.39 X 33.11 (inches) and go from there or would it be better to go smaller. Not really sure on this. Can someone please help me?! Thanks

The display company you are ordering from should have specs on how to lay them out. If they don't have them on a website, give them a call.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to say welcome to the forum!! It's early.

Comment

welcome to the forum.

Your best bet is to contact the printer who will be producing the piece and asking them, because specifications vary from shop to shop.

See what kind of files they need, whether they print in CMYK format or RGB, and what resolution they want the files supplied at. That's a good place to start.
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by morea
        welcome to the forum.

Your best bet is to contact the printer who will be producing the piece and asking them, because specifications vary from shop to shop.

See what kind of files they need, whether they print in CMYK format or RGB, and what resolution they want the files supplied at. That's a good place to start.
        JINX

Comment

ssh, don't tell, but that's how I pretend to be smart... I just repeat everything OTHER people say.
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Ahh, the truth comes out!

Comment

Thanks Folks!

Comment

You got these dimensions right? For a booth 'back drop'?
                "23.39 inches X 33.11 inches."

Be very sure you ask the printer what resolution he wants your images to be and watch out for original vs final size resolutions in your work.

Something this small would be laid out at 100% or actual print size. Photoshop and Illustrator are far more common these days in wide format than Freehand. Ask the printer.

Don't forget your bleeds!

Comment

I think the dimensions are correct but that I will dbl check on. Thanks again everyone for the help! It got me going in the right direction.

Comment

naughty then :P
                    When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
                    But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

Ok guys I must be having a real bad "blonde moment"... No offense to my fellow blondies.:-) I just am not sure where to begin. I contacted the printer and they gave me the specs, here they are as follows ( file can be sent as a tiff, jpeg, pdf, psd, eps, cdr or ai for PC. It should be 200 dpi at size and can have an over bleed if they want the colour to go out to the edge. It make no difference if you send it in RBG or CMYK.). Ok... I get that but what I am unsure of is what size to create the graphic/s. I have never created something like this before and maybe it's over my head but I'm not going down without a good fight. Can someone please explain to me the best way to start this. Would I create the graphic/s the size of the actual banner which is 36"(914mm) X 78.74"(2000mm) this seems awfully big to create in actual size or would I just make the graphic and they(printer) size it to fit the banner? Does this make sense??? Can someone walk me through the steps? Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

Just FYI, in wide format, 36x79 is relatively tiny.

Yes create it at actual size. It looks like they don't allow Quark which is good because Quark has a 48" artboard limit so you would have to do it at half scale at 400dpi.

If you do work in scale, make sure you are in the same scale in both dimensions. Don't just 'create a graphic' and expect it to fit if you don't do the math. A printer will look at you funny if you tell him to change the aspect ratio of a design to fit a banner.

I'm going to assume you are using Illustrator (that's what I would use if Q and InD aren't a native option. I always send native files for large format unless I know specifally what .eps or .pdf settings the printer wants - especially if any sort of transparency is involved).

Set up your artboard at 38" x 80"
                        Set up a rectangle centered on your artboard that is 36" x 78.74". Make it on a layer all by itself. Select the rectangle and Go to Filter>Create>Crop Marks. Adjust some guides to align with that rectangle. Now put another set of guides 1/2" outside that rectangle all around. These outer guides mark your bleed area. Select the rectangle and give it No Stroke and No Fill. Lock the layer. Be sure it stays as the bottommost layer or your crops may be on the image area.

Proceed with your design bearing in mind that whatever is in the 1/2 inch border will be cut off.

Place your images. DO NOT embed them. Images can be .tif or.eps. I prefer .tif because I can see what I'm doing. In Illy, large .eps images tend to pixelate in preview and when printed to a non-postscript desktop printer.

Be sure any images you place will be 200dpi AT FINAL SIZE. If you are placing an 8"w x 10"h image across the full 36", the original scan has to be done at 900dpi to be 200 at final. (This is where you'll find out why I laugh at stock sites that claim to have High Resolution images. LOL!)

Use PMS spot colors. Make sure any colors you use are in the swatch palette. Delete any colors from the palette you don't use.

If you have stuff that falls off the artboard, consider using a mask. You may have to if you can't see the crop marks you made

Be sure to save an editable copy then outline all your fonts to avoid PC/Mac kerning issues.

Print a hard copy and call out your dimensions and PMS colors on it. Tell them the file is at 100% and to trim to crops.

Send the file as a .ai along with all your linked images.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by PrintDriver; 02-19-2006, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Wow thank you for the steps I'm sure that took a few minutes to write and explain. I really appreciate all the help! You rock!!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                          Working...
                          X