Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why your brand needs a style guide, and how to create one…

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why your brand needs a style guide, and how to create one…

GREAT article and great resource. Make sure to check out the links.

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2014...-to-create-one
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Nice article with good examples.
    But the article but has a few holes.

Color:
    not only hex codes for web use, but also equivalent CMYK and even Pantone color values for print
    It might actually be a better idea to start with the spot color Pantone and then give hex and CMYK values. There are only 3500 or so Pantone colors but there are millions of possible CMYK combinations, many of which are not represented by spot ink mixes.
    Remember too that not everything is on paper or on the web. If you want your logo cut in vinyl to put on car windows or you want to create a cohesive office decor, then you may have to spec vinyl swatch colors (even more limited than spot Pantones) and you may want to spec Benjamin Moore or RAL paint numbers. Taken a few steps further and you may spec carpet color (make and number) and laminate design (make and number). Maybe project specific, but once done, should be recorded.

Logo Size and Placement:
    When developing a logo, sincere consideration has to be given to a sign blank. That would be the shape of the sign with the logo on it if printed and hung on the wall. This can be anything from a simple rectangle to a fairly complex shape. Consideration should also be given to negative space and to the placement of anyTM or R symbols. Floating those out into the ether can be difficult to achieve in a 3D rendition of the logo.

Always try to use a logo element to indicate padding. In the example given, they say 3/8" padding. At what size? 2" or 200 pixels? Instead, they should consider the letter A height or maybe triple the thickness of the arrow stroke. That way, as the logo scales, so does the padding.

Public Style Guides:
    Double-edged sword. Make em public and maybe they will be followed. But they do make it easy for scammers to misrepresent or spoof your brand.

Missing section - Imagery:
    Not only is copy writing important, the style of acquired imagery may also be important. I've seen style guides that absolutely forbid using
    "the handshake" image. LOL.

The biggest problem with Style Guides? Like printers' specs, nobody reads them! I've seen instances of print material with improper usage, out of date logos, improper colors, improper imagery. If you are creating one to hand to a new designer, be sure to go over the important basics and keep an eye on what they do for a while. If you are doing work for a new client and they hand you a guide, follow it. It isn't only important to create them. It's important to read them.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-09-2014, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Great additions PrintDriver. You should send those back to the author.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Nice writing. Good to know. Keep it up. BR

Comment

Hi DGTouch and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
          Design is not decoration.

Comment

thank you !!!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
              Reply to Portfolio usage of work
              PrintDriver
              Why would you have someone else's work on your portfolio site?
              Why would you not honor a takedown notice?
              Doesn't matter if you don't claim copyright, or even if you credit the work appropriately....
              Yesterday, 07:50 PM
            • John G
              Reply to What do you think about my new web site?
              John G
              I'd recommend colored borders. love it that you can scroll down and I think "get all the information". Unfortunately, it's in a foreign language none of anything seems to whittle anythng down,...
              Yesterday, 07:28 PM
            • MikeTyler
              Reply to Help with bitmap to vector conversion
              MikeTyler
              The fact that this will be a paint mask and really just needs clean shapes with no regard for color palette I'd assume would be an easier task than taking a full color JPG image and performing the same...
              Yesterday, 06:31 PM
            • John G
              Reply to visually pleasing web design
              John G
              Remember all the things that made it easy to find whatever it was you were looking for on a site? Don't forget about it when you make your designs. The designs come second. Content first.

Yesterday, 06:26 PM
            • Thug-D
              Comment on What should I do? Problem figuring out what would be more economical to spend on?
              Thug-D
              I'm 17. I do not think my passion is going to change because to be honest since the time I was a kid I found computer graphics pretty dope. It's just that last year I got involved in it. At first I thought...
              Yesterday, 05:58 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X