No announcement yet.

How do you collect design inspiration?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you collect design inspiration?

Places like Google Drive, Pinterest and your desktop are great for collecting inspirational materials for design but how do you collect stuff in the "real" world?

I need to purge some stuff but also want to keep some... anyone here use binders or something to collect and categorize inspirational print work?

You can always digitize - scan and/or take photos and keep the files on a drive instead of taking up actual space.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Flat files are nice if you have the bucks and the space...

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ri...ak-flat-files/
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I used to collect design inspiration, but I found that I could recall enough about what I was collecting to be inspired without having to sift through and find it. So I just inspect and circular file and move on. I also can't really spare the time to sift through a haystack looking for a needle
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by beardsworthy View Post
          Places like Google Drive, Pinterest and your desktop are great for collecting inspirational materials for design but how do you collect stuff in the "real" world?
          I gave up on that years ago. Every now and again I'll come across something that's so interesting that I want to keep it -- not really for inspiration, but mostly just because I like it.

As for inspiration, I guess that I don't really go out of my way to look for it. Even so, whatever abilities I might have in this field are at least partially indebted to everything I've seen and liked (or disliked) and absorbed over the years. I have dozens of design books showing thousands of examples of great design. I've collected most every Communication Arts publication dating back to 1970. And then there's the web -- where examples of good design are only a few clicks away. Keeping folders full of various brochures, ads, and other things I've come across just isn't all that important to me.

Comment

I gave up on keeping a paper morgue years ago. Move a few times and you'll find out why. LOL.

Comment

thanks yall.

Comment

Why not try using dropbox? free tool and lets you access your file anywhere as long as that computer has an internet and dropbox as well.

Comment

Hi Jm_jav21 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                  Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Hi,
                    I use mostly pinterest to get my inspiration.
                    I used to store like brochures, and magazines, but i happened what Print Driver said, that is a pain in the ass, if you are constantly moving.

Comment

I dont know if for inspiration, but I have artbooks, okinawan fabric pattern books (bingata) and "furoshiki" books.

I used to collect papers, but I ALWAYS ended up throwing them away. Now I am collecting actual "furoshiki" for their patterns.
                      Last edited by Momoshy; 05-19-2015, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I just tend to collect books. I'd like to collect some vintage ephemera, but I don't have the space so books on vintage ephemera will have to do for now.

Comment

When I come across a neat piece of design in the real world. I keep it on my desk for a few months until I'm sick of looking at it and toss it. I'm not interested in hoarding boxes of print design.

Seriously though, Pinterest is amazing. I have lots of boards on there and have secret boards for client mood boards and that kind of research.
                          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Tumblr is a good place for this. A lot of great designers, artists, and photographers are active there. There are also some really great curators who collect and post all the best stuff. I just scroll through my favorites when I need some design inspiration.

Comment

At first, I have a bookmark list of my favorite design blogs and then I do it the old way, save pictures of the things I like to my hard drive. I collect these images in different folders such as "graphic design", "fonts", "photography"... Very simple but also very effective!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Craig B
                                Reply to Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                Craig B
                                I think what you described is fairly typical of most jobs. I'm not saying it's identical but I do web design, email design, interactive apps, collateral, booth graphics, signage, posters, advertising,...
                                Today, 10:46 AM
                              • Colton819
                                Reply to Getting a image ready for print
                                Colton819
                                So I tried doing Pantone colors but obviously they just couldn’t match close enough. The image I posted is actually a vector format I created a raster format then converted to vector in illustrator. I...
                                Today, 08:47 AM
                              • leaagg
                                Help me explaining my job in my portfolio!
                                leaagg
                                Hello,

I am a French designer working for a Turkish company (in turkey).
                                I am now currently working on my updated portfolio because my main goal is QUIT !! The working conditions in...
                                Today, 07:57 AM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Reply to Tours Travel company logo, what do you think?
                                PrintDriver
                                Do people still use QR codes?
                                Two phones ago I downloaded an app just to check that a client's QR code was linking properly when printed. 4 years later now, and that app has never been used again....
                                Today, 07:06 AM
                              • PrintDriver
                                Comment on Getting a image ready for print
                                PrintDriver
                                Way too much sharing there, hank..........
                                Today, 06:51 AM
                              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                              Working...
                              X