Is there a way to do this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to do this?

So, instead of paying more that $5.00 for a color palette book, I'm making my own. I've started with an excel document, but now I've moved it to illustrator. So I want to make sure I don't have any repeating colors.

How would I make sure I don't have a single repeating color without writing down all the RGBs, CMYKs, and # first or with out gigot through each block and using the select similar appearance button.

I know this a bit odd and I can explain a little better if thats needed.
    I'm a sophomore in college, 19, and I'd be nowhere without my art

Assuming you are doing this for colour matching purposes, you'll have a bitch of time matching those colours after especially if you are printing them from a home printer; that's why spot colours exist. I suggest you save yourself the time and splurge for a pantone swatch book.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

If your working with an actual commercial printer you should be able to print out color swatches directly from the RIP.

Comment

Are you a designer?
        Or a printer?
        And why are you using Excel of all programs.....to sort out your numbers?
        Do you know how many combinations there are of CMYK and RGB?
        Do you know that incremental changes in values do not separate enough to be visibly different?
        And do you know each print machine will print those numbers differently on whatever media you are printing on? You don't profile for CMYK or RGB numbers. You take what plops out of the done end of the printer.
        And don't even think that whatever you see on your monitor or on your home inkjet is what you are going to get out of a professional print vendor.

If you are a printer, invest in a spectrometer and a good rip, and a full Pantone deck.
        If you are a designer, get the proper tools of the profession and rely on your print vendor to help you out.

I had a funny one today. Indesign CC2015 told me it wouldn't do something (turn on overprint preview) because there were more than 22 spot colors in the color palette of a file a designer had sent me. That made me smile.
        Last edited by PrintDriver; 10-01-2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Add to that Pantone books aren't worth the paper they're printed on. They are for reference only. Pantone even says so. They aren't printed using conventional lithographic techniques. And they are printed on paper that nobody but Pantone uses. And, add to that that if you are going to coat the printed job, you may or may not be able to get close to the colors in the book.
          http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

I'm only doing this because I'm a freshmen in college, studying graphic design and I can't afford much. I can't afford the creative suite programs or the yearly fee for the creative cloud package. So I won't always have the pantone swatch library to use.

I'm using excell to put organize the colors, cause then I'm going to print them, cut out eat coloumn and glue them into a lined journal where I'll write the code.

I'm going to use it for the color reference. When I print out what ever I'm making, i'll know what the print color will look like.

If, in the next four years, I print anything in color, I'll be using pretty much the same printer that is available with the college.

someday, when I go pro, I'll be able to afford all the right equipment, but for the time being, I've got to make a lot of my own.

This is what I have done so far
            I'm a sophomore in college, 19, and I'd be nowhere without my art

Comment

• PrintDriver
              PrintDriver commented
              Editing a comment
              Waste of time.
              Not only is Excel output RGB-based, you will get different colors on every machine you print that "chart."
              It won't be worth the paper it is printed on. You aren't going to be printing all your projects in inkjet on photocopy paper. Your colors will not look like the colors you print out...unless you pay to print out your 10s or even 100s of pages on the material you are going to use before you begin your design. After a few of those, you'd have been better off with the Pantone books.
              Or you print out your piece of paper with colors you want to match and hand it to your printer (be sure you've applied the colors in your design program.) The printer will charge you for each color match he has to do by hand and he will charge you for the system time required to not only fix your colors but deal with whatever software issues you introduce using freeware. Not all printing is done with PDF handoff.

Cosmo, every single media manufacturer that I use, profiles to pantone. Two of my outsource vendors are using the Caldera rip and a dedicated technician for media profiling. They can get about 80-85% of the Pantone palette usually within tolerance without charting. Yes overlams will change the colors. That is why you use a printer that knows what they are doing. As for Pantone, until designers understand how to use LAB, that is what we have. Even with LAB, still the overlams affect the color. I hate Pantone on a daily basis. But you do what you gotta do to keep the work coming in the door. I'd much rather aim for a Pantone than something handed to me that is going to waste a good portion of an hour trying to match.
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 10-04-2015, 06:38 PM.

• Cosmo
              Cosmo commented
              Editing a comment
              We just went round and round with a job that the printer could never hit the specified LAB colors for a spot color. After three months of emails, phone calls, meetings with the ink manufacturers, press checks, etc. we finally agreed that that color wasn't possible on a color that was going to be aqueous coated. The chemicals in the AQ coating were burning the red out of the color. It was dead on for LAB value before coating. It was way off after coating. No amount of ink reformulation would get it right.

• PrintDriver
              PrintDriver commented
              Editing a comment
              Right. Just like I have lams that turn things slightly green. There are some colors you just can't back the cyan out of to account for it. Then you exercise due diligence and work with the client after giving them the bad news. All you can do.

If you are studying graphic design in college you need to find the funds to get the right tools, the software and the color guides. You have to take seriously your education, no shortcuts.

Comment

• Magical Unicorn
              Magical Unicorn commented
              Editing a comment
              ok, question though.

Whats better in the long run:
              buying $2,000 for cs6 once or paying the $200 a year for creative cloud

At your point keeping up on cloud would be my suggestion.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KitchWitch
              Reply to 3D view of a logo
              KitchWitch
              Hi Closer and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
              Today, 01:44 PM
            • KitchWitch
              Reply to Hi there, pixels!
              KitchWitch
              Hi Nomorext and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
              Today, 01:41 PM
            • Appmacguy
              Reply to Hi there, pixels!
              Appmacguy
              Hey there! From Leicester here and happy to give you any tips or advice you might find useful about the area, UK and places where jobs might be found.

Have to let me know what Iím particular...
              Today, 01:36 PM
            • nomorext
              Hi there, pixels!
              nomorext
              Just saying hi from North Carolina, USA. Moving shortly to Leicestershire UK. Anyone local for tips about finding a job in our field over there?
              Today, 12:54 PM
            • Glitchin
              Reply to 3D view of a logo
              Glitchin
              Google: free logo mockup psd and you will find what you're looking for. If you look around that exact mock up is available for free. I have it myself but I can't think where I got it....
              Today, 12:45 PM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X