Question about Social Media icons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Social Media icons

I understand there are a lot of resources available online that provide designers with pre-made icons for things like Facebook, Twitter, etc. What's the protocol with this type of thing? Say you need implement such icons on a design piece...is it better to recreate them from scratch to mesh with your overall aesthetic, or is it acceptable to pull from the internet, and maybe modify them? I don't really mind trying to recreate the icons, but it would be a big time saver if I didn't have to. What's the best way to approach this issue?

I'm not sure you're supposed to modify them to fit your aesthetic. I know facebook has rules about usage and you are supposed to get them from their site.

Here's a lesson learned: http://angiemakes.com/improper-use-social-media-icons/
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• mcbennet
      mcbennet commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link..I haven't had to deal with this sort of thing before so I'm glad you guys are here to help!

• PrintDriver
      PrintDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      These social media icons and their usage should be taught in Graphics 101.
      All brands have brand standards just as harsh as these. Or worse. And large brands will make your designer life miserable if you don't follow them to the letter. I've often wondered on several occasions if the designer had to pay out of pocket for misuse of brand in printed collateral.

• KitchWitch
      KitchWitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I doubt the person from that link studied design in the slightest. A lot of Etsy sellers grab copyrighted or trademarked material, tweak it and sell it. Then get shocked when they get busted for it.

There is usually a download assets page for those things. Each one has its own usage rules, dos and don'ts.
    Here are Twitter's.
    https://about.twitter.com/press/twitter-brand-policy

There are a lot of rules.

Comment

You should not be pulling logos from random places on the web. Get them from the original source. Each have their specific usage parameters.

Facebook guidelines

Twitter guidelines
      Last edited by PanToshi; 10-28-2015, 12:51 PM. Reason: make English better-rer
      Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

• mcbennet
        mcbennet commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a lot PanToshi, this has been a big help..though I'm bummed that the guidelines keep you from altering the color of their logos.

• kemingMatters
        kemingMatters commented
        Editing a comment
        I fairly certain all of them have a black & white or KO white version you can use to if you are trying to maintain a minimized colour palette

• mcbennet
        mcbennet commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I've definitely seen that on Facebook and Twitter..my biggest problem is Yelp, though. They restrict proportion adjustments and the icon they provide for print/web is HUGE!

Jinx Pan. At least mine are in English.

Comment

• PanToshi
        PanToshi commented
        Editing a comment
        better?

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• seamas
      Comment on Poster for a school project
      seamas
      I dunno, I think it is worse when the dead headliners DO show up.

Not very sexy imho
      Yesterday, 05:18 PM
    • PrintDriver
      Comment on Looking for the graphic designer of a certain graphic
      PrintDriver
      I'm a creature of necessity. A lot of times the end client will want an actual signed release and a real photo credit, so you have to attempt to find the artist.
      Love doing image research for projects....
      Yesterday, 05:10 PM
    • PrintDriver
      Reply to Work from UK for an US company
      PrintDriver
      All I can suggest is consult a tax expert in the UK. If your company doesn't mind you moonlighting like this, maybe they could suggest someone for you.
      Income is Income and the Gov always seems...
      Yesterday, 05:05 PM
    • PrintDriver
      Comment on Work from UK for an US company
      PrintDriver
      I do business with people in the UK a lot. Because the gig they hire us for is going to be in the US, they time shift their design staff so they are available during US Eastern Time. It's the only way...
      Yesterday, 05:02 PM
    • PrintDriver
      Comment on Poster for a school project
      PrintDriver
      Especially if the headliners aren't going to show up...
      Yesterday, 04:55 PM
    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
    Working...
    X