Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Pixelman
    Reply to Data merge in multiple text frames
    Pixelman
    Yeah thought about doing that at first but its for 1001 - 2001 numerically so no logic in doing it like that.
    Opted for a simpler option that involves automatic numbering, only had to try the other...
    Today, 10:59 AM
  • Lucifer
    Reply to InDesign and Illustrator - am I missing out?
    Lucifer
    That's interesting. I assume you live in America, B. I'm from India, and I've been to four different printers in the past year. All of them use CorelDRAW. Perhaps it's because CD is cheaper than the Adobe...
    Today, 08:59 AM
  • B
    B
    This is going to sound like I live in a cave by myself and never venture into the sunshine, but in my 30-plus years of working in this field, I've never personally encountered anyone who uses CorelDRAW,...
    Today, 06:31 AM
  • Lucifer
    Lucifer
    Thanks, Buda. So far I've used it to create a logo, business cards and various hotel menus. Everything gets done so much faster (I used to be a hardcore Photoshop guy). I'm going to get started with...
    Today, 04:55 AM
  • EmberMike
    Reply to Is 9-to-5 a thing of the past?
    EmberMike
    My impression has been that people eat at their desks because there is too much work to be done. I put in 9.5 hours today at my desk, and most other people were there just as long or longer. Luckily for...
    Today, 04:38 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Services...

I'd like to get some feedback on online printing quote services. We use one and are very happy but, would like to get even more quotes. There are so many and it's hard to find out any info on them.

Thanks.

Bob

We don't discuss pricing on the GDF. Do a forum search for Online Printers and see what comes up. Usually someone has asked a question or two about them.

Comment

Not looking for pricing. I would like to know if anyone has any good or bad things to say about the many quote services out there.

In this day and age of online design and print, the quote service plays a pretty big role.

Comment

Are you talking about print brokers?
        I never use em. Why pay the middleman? I deal directly with all of my outsource print vendors. Less confusion that way.

Comment

quote services? Not sure what you mean. I work with a few local printers, and just email them my specs when I need a price.
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

No. We use a service called FindPrinters.com. It's a place where buyers place a quote and multiple printers bid on them. There are plenty of sites that do this and I am looking to join another. Buyers do NOT pay.

Comment

and you also use a site called finddesigners, which you recommended to us in the resources section. (As designers ourselves, I doubt we will have need of that service.)

are you advertising?

Comment

I've found several freelance designers on that site. And been happy with most. As designers I thought you might appreciate sites like that. If you know any better ones I'd be interested. Since I am new to this site I do not know all the do's & don't. However, I do get the feeling that I am not allowed to post links. Is that so?

Comment

By the way... Aren't we way off topic?

Comment

we recommend reading the forum rules before posting.

New User FAQ

Welcome and Forum Rules

Comment

Using a quote service is like hiring a designer from Elance.
                      While it may be the internet thing to do, it isn't always a good business practice.

I usually go for someone I know can do the job on time and on color rather than go with a low bidder. Some of my clients still care about quality.

Comment

That's a pretty narrow point of view. There is nothing wrong with outsourcing as long as you do your homework. That's like saying you wouldn't recommend hiring a designer I met in this forum because they gave me a good price. A quote service is merely a tool. And a poor carpenter doesn't blame his tools.

PS. I met my wife online. So I know it can work.
                        Last edited by Bob_Katz; 04-27-2006, 04:18 AM.

Comment

I didn't say I don't outsource. I actually do over 80% of my work outsourced.

That's like saying you wouldn't recommend hiring a designer I met in this forum because they gave me a good price.
                          But that's what I am saying.
                          It takes more than a rock-bottom price for me to choose a vendor. The same as you wouldn't hire a designer based on price. If a GD's book and references are no good, it's a waste of money. Same with a printer. If references, samples, color match, customer service, project turnaround and quality don't meet my (rather high) expectations, "lowest price available" means squat.

Large format stuff is too expensive to take a flyer on an unknown. There's a long trial period of doing 'little jobs' before someone gets awarded our big ones.

<Note sig vvv> Other's points of view may differ.

Comment

That's interesting. I looked at my earlier posts to see where I said I take the cheapest bid or rock-bottom price and I could not find it.

What you have done is assumed that since I use an online quote service that it is ONLY about price. That is not correct nor is that fair. Obivously not having used one yourself, you have jumped to conculsions.

This is all about business and a good business person uses the tools available to them. These type of sites are good for me and even better for my clients.

Comment

I lot of good printers avoid such sites. If I'm not mistaking it sounds like reverse bidding. It maybe good for you Bob but it hurts printers. I can only say what I've heard. Printers in destress often go to these sites and in the long run end up hurting themselves and other printers. There are folks who go after the lowest bid everytime, jumping from printer to printer. To me if you do simple work it may pan out but if you do complex work my hunch would be that person will get and does get burned often going this route for obvious reasons. Who knows what the capibilities are of these printers who get involved in reverse bidding.
                              WYSIWYG

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X