Big stock photos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big stock photos?

I have a client that wants an image for a 6ft x 4ft poster. Does anyone have a resource to buy photos that large? thanks!

How are you printing it?
    For something that large you only need something that will go to 80-150ppi at full size (depending on the imagery and the viewing distance.)

Any of the stock sites will have decent size photos. The trouble is finding one with the subject matter your client wants. My sources range from iStock to NatGeo and everywhere in between. It all depends on the subject matter. Historical imagery is group by itself with about a dozen different sites I use that have large imagery. Eco images of animals and landscapes, the same. Fine art imagery has its own site. Tech/Sci has a go-to site as well. Some stuff is so specialized there is only one guy you can contact and he might be on a 6month photo shoot on the Denali.
    You get my drift.

In some cases you can contact the stock company or the photographer directly and if the material is originally shot to film (not all that common anymore,) pay a premium to have it drum scanned at a higher resolution. Don't let them interpolate a digital image for you. Why pay them to do something you could do yourself.

Stuff like that takes time though. Anything that requires I contact any source with ''library'' in its name, or any private photographer, I figure is minimum 4 weeks turnaround...and can be longer than 10 weeks.
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 04-14-2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks, PrintDriver. Maybe I'll just buy a cheap image at 80-150ppi and make a test print to see how it looks.

Comment

Be sure to do your math correctly.
        That's 80-150 at full size of your poster...
        so if you get an image that is 6" x 4" you will need a resolution of 960-1800ppi. If you get an image 12" x 8", it has to be 480 to 900ppi.

you can get images fairly large at 300. Whether or not you can get to 72"x 48" depends on the image.

BTW, don't forget your bleeds.

Comment

It depends on the stock house. I use a Getty premium access subscription and most of the shots fall around the 5000 pixel by 3500 pixel range. Some smaller, some a little bigger On the low range of PD's recommendation that translates to a roughly 62 1/2" x 43 3/4" image. Which depending on the image should upsample fairly well to 72" x 48".

I've printed at my previous company wall panels of that same 6' tall by 4' wide size using full bleed photos form Getty and they've upsampled fine and look great at a pretty typical viewing distance of a few feet at the closest.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

You can use for this purpose Stock image search engine Everpixel. It covers 51 stock image resources. All images, that have XXL size will be Ok

Comment

Hi Kris_kli and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
                Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
                Glitchin
                Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much...
                Today, 03:55 PM
              • Glitchin
                Comment on Logo Feedback
                Glitchin
                I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
                Today, 03:24 PM
              • Glitchin
                Reply to Critique Please?
                Glitchin
                This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
                Today, 02:58 PM
              • Glitchin
                Comment on Critique Please?
                Glitchin
                Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
                Today, 02:54 PM
              • PrintDriver
                Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                PrintDriver
                Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
                Today, 12:42 PM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X