Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resources to start with

Hello there,

I have come here as I love graphic design and I dare to acknowledge Graphic Design as a creative domain in its own right. Creative endeavour and skills in digital software is key for success of any creative individual in this world, I believe.

Having said that, it may be surprising to hear that I finished my degree in Art and Design with multiple recognition awards without any serious knowledge of any computer software. This was the reason for me being lost when I graduated. I was creatively drained and disenchanted with my portfolio. I then went into teaching kids, which meant studying something completely different. Even thought I am proud of being able to make a difference in children’s life, there is something truly lacking in my life. I feel that I need to go back to creative work and that the way to start is learning adobe cloud software. Yes, I may become a digital designer if God wills .

Holding future in my hands, I have been literally a click away from purchasing the creative cloud for good half a year. I have also been looking into courses which may get me started. I wonder if getting creative cloud would be sufficient at this stage. I am unsure whether being able to use the software and view tutorials without having set briefs and feedback is the right start. The graphic design courses I found online, including a fast-track graphic design college, seem to be very expensive and lack credibility. Where do you suggest I should start?

Background of my work was based on colour theory, shapes, composition and subtle communication of the subject matter. Prior to this, I also learnt about typography. I graduated from a traditional art college at the age of 18, amongst other fairly irrelevant subjects I studies, I graduated with knowing how to write in several scripts (by hand!) and painted a poster!

Any advice on how to kick-start myself again will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Well, if you have the design theory and knowledge aspect nailed down pretty well, learning software shouldn't be an insurmountable challenge. By purchasing Creative Suite, do you mean an earlier "boxed version", such as CS 5.5? If so, I'd recommend just paying for a month or two for the CS subscription. You could probably pick things up fairly well with tutorials. To top it off I'd recommend buying a lynda.com subscription. At least for a month or two, just to get up to speed. Heck, maybe 3 or 4 months if you feel like it's helping you pick up the software kills you need.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

For a while Adobe was offering a month of free Lynda with purchase. Though that could have been back with CS6... The time flies so quickly when you're having such a blast.

Adobe has some good basic tutorials for free at Adobe TV.

With the software, the trick is not to let it limit you. Don't box yourself in because you only know how to do a few limited things with the software. Storyboard your piece, then find tutorials or ask questions in order to accomplish what you want to achieve with your software-derived art. I was iin school at the tail end of the paste-up era, and when my GD class changed over to computers, some of the best artists in the class were reduced to cookie-cutter designers whose work all looked alike. We didn't have Lynda or Adobe TV or any of the tutorials and freebies downloads out there today. This was before the For Dummies series books came out and most of the software only had ONE undo (and we walked to school barefoot uphill both ways too.)
      It took a lot of hours and a lot of trial and error to find ways to make the software do what we wanted. Keep at it and keep practicing. Once you learn something, be sure to revisit the process every couple of weeks for a couple months or I guarantee you will forget it.

Also be very aware that there are ways to use the software that will make your files a burden on your print providers. Transparency effects overlays and anything involving transparent spot colors can have profound ramifications in rip. If you are unfamiliar with sending files for print, or are using a new print process or vendor you haven't used before, always contact the printer BEFORE you begin your computer layout and ask for their submission specs. Just because you turn something in ''the way you've always done it before,'' doesn't mean it is correct.
      Last edited by PrintDriver; 04-19-2017, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Splashsky
        Advice on simple banking-style design
        Splashsky
        So, for a little background, I'm working on a text-based web game as a passion project. I'm no designer; far from it. I'm working on the banking feature of the game, which as a few features. The banking...
        Today, 12:10 PM
      • PrintDriver
        Comment on QuarkXPress 2017 introduced
        PrintDriver
        Hi wcali, nice rant. A lot of the software companies are forgetting their main purpose in life.
        The Output.
        As a printer, I have been going round and round with Adobe over features they have...
        Today, 08:46 AM
      • Peter3v
        Reply to Logo Design - Font to match and go alongside chosen logo
        Peter3v
        Hey B - If interested people would like to message me on earth2pete@hotmail.com that would be great. Thank you
        Today, 06:52 AM
      • Breanne.C
        Reply to Helloooooo!
        Breanne.C
        Actually, I do have a print related issue if you'd like to take a stab at helping me with. Should I post in the correct category with the issue and picture that goes with it?
        Yesterday, 10:29 PM
      • Breanne.C
        Reply to Font ID Please
        Breanne.C
        Oh yeah.

Catorze27 Style 1 Bold best matched it, for the exception of the M, which I easily was able to fix....
        Yesterday, 10:14 PM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X