Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    PanToshi
    Yep, like I said, freelancers who are hoping to work full-time for the company for which they are occasionally freelancing are unemployed designers who are freelancing until they find full-time work.
    Today, 02:40 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    MichaelWied
    The "freelancers" are basically there to be called in if a big project comes up and they need the extra hand, and these are designers hoping to get a full time spot at the company.
    Today, 01:51 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo Notions update on CreativeLatitude.com

Here's the latest Logo Notions update: Using, fusing and abusing “the rules” of logo design

- J.
    Jeff Fisher | Engineer of Creative Identity
    Jeff Fisher LogoMotives | Twoot! Twoot!

id be interested in learning how Audette created the new mount moriah logo. the glass is a pretty impressive illustration. very believable.

after weeks of research and development, a word bubble was the best idea Andrews could come up with for ncg?! thats kinda sad.

Gordons logo for camini falsi wines is awkward to say the least. in fact, i wouldnt even consider that a logo. its more of a description label or poster graphic. it doesnt work as an identity.

all those gradient logos are horrible. they won awards? thats amazing.

the yale park logo is interesting. the typography is playful, but using numbers for letters has been done to death.

jeff, your logo is well done. ive always liked it.

Comment

I knew I’ve seen that LogoMotives somewhere... Letterhead + Logo Design 5.

Great article. Thanks.
      A little smilie goes a long way.

Comment

Some pretty broad disses there Typo based on minimal descriptions without knowing all the details, history, and market research that went into each logo.

Take a walk through a wine store someday. You'll find most of the labels don't follow your simple rules but are very effective as identities for their wineries. Most of the smaller vintners have even more poster-like identities than San Pacifico. They use their label to try to stand out much the same way a publisher uses a book cover.

No one has ever said you can't use grades tastefully in a logo (just be prepared to pay the costs). The Valles Caldera is an excellent piece. Well balanced, easy to read, and very nice color choices. Making that sign would be a pleasure.

Other than school, do you have any award winning logos?

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
          Some pretty broad disses there Typo based on minimal descriptions without knowing all the details, history, and market research that went into each logo.
          Have to agree with you - "kinda sad," "awkward,: and "horrible" are such constructive critiques based on no knowledge of the project briefs, complete project process and actual client requirements/desire. Kind of reminded me of the "criticisms" (or lack of) that I got as a freshman design student from an instructor who eventually caused me to change my major out of the pissy fine arts school... (The same instructor who told our class, made up of about 1/3 women, that women have no place in the profession of graphic design).

- J.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Fisher LogoMotives
            Kind of reminded me of the "criticisms" (or lack of) that I got as a freshman design student from an instructor who eventually caused me to change my major out of the pissy fine arts school... (The same instructor who told our class, made up of about 1/3 women, that women have no place in the profession of graphic design).
            WOW.
            "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

But remember Morea, that was back in the dark ages.

Comment

No business in the profession? Who was this guy? (i used past tense intentionally. I mean some woman HAS to have offed him by now).
                The premier New York Rangers forum on the web

Comment

I'm sure that professer felt women had no place in the workplace - period.

Comment

i wasnt giving a critique, i was merely commenting on what i read. last i looked, this wasnt under the "critique" section. however, since jeff posted this article on a public forum...i felt it would be acceptable to comment on his writings.

geese...you guys get so testy if people disagree with you, or challenge your ideas. i feel like im back in high school sometimes. "how many awards have you won?" lol. thats so childish...

if you want a constructive critique, simply move it to the right section. if you merely wish to post your writings on an open forum, then be prepared for someone to disagree with you in a broad and generalizing manner. you dont need to get your feathers ruffled. youve been in the business a long time, surely you can take some criticism, even if its short and to the point.

perhaps no one is allowed to disagree with jeff. or if they do disagree with jeff, they have to write out a long winded professional critique explaining their viewpoint...even if its posted outside of the critique section. if thats the case, just let me know for next time.

Comment

Perhaps you just need a personality workshop. You have a manner that seems to offend a great many people. Now it's possible that they're all incorrect, and it's you who is correct, but no good gambler would ever take that bet.
                      The premier New York Rangers forum on the web

Comment

Originally posted by typographics

geese...you guys get so testy if people disagree with you, or challenge your ideas. i feel like im back in high school sometimes. "how many awards have you won?" lol. thats so childish...
                        I usually stay out of these but man I can't believe you said this. Hello kettle, this is the pot calling, you're black!
                        Last edited by Kool; 05-22-2006, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by typographics
                          i wasnt giving a critique, i was merely commenting on what i read. last i looked, this wasnt under the "critique" section. however, since jeff posted this article on a public forum...i felt it would be acceptable to comment on his writings.

if you want a constructive critique, simply move it to the right section. if you merely wish to post your writings on an open forum, then be prepared for someone to disagree with you in a broad and generalizing manner. you dont need to get your feathers ruffled. youve been in the business a long time, surely you can take some criticism, even if its short and to the point.

perhaps no one is allowed to disagree with jeff. or if they do disagree with jeff, they have to write out a long winded professional critique explaining their viewpoint...even if its posted outside of the critique section. if thats the case, just let me know for next time.
                          I didn't post the link in the critique section because I wasn't asking for critiques of the works used to illustrate the article in question - I was just presenting a link to a possible article resource for forum visitors. I have a great deal of respect for the designers who are willing to put their work "out there" in article formats, or submit examples for publishing in my books, on a regular basis. You seemed to take it upon yourself to think a critique was necessary when it was in no way requested.

My "feathers" were in no way "ruffled" - I just thought your post came across as a somewhat rude cheap shot at the work of others and it was presented in an unprofessional manner. I personally don't care if you, or anyone else on any forum, agrees with me or not - I got over that being a possible source of insecurity a long time ago...

- J.

Comment

great article, Jeff. I always love reading your thoughts on logo design. Thanks for sharing!
                            "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

olay olay oh hhh lay

panzer gets on matador suit on ole'
                              When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
                              But in my dreams, I slew the dragon

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X