Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to how got project of graphic designing
    ISitude
    I've found that being able to explain why a client should go with my firm is key. Clearly showing a benefit to their brand is all important. You must be able to articulate their concerns through your...
    Today, 04:37 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    ISitude
    All I can say about Ray Gun is ...awesome stuff ...well worth studying for all those interested in learning about typography and it's various shades of gray!

Like you say <b> the most...
    Today, 04:26 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Honest critique for a wedding design
    Kayekaye
    The typeface is stiff and boring for a wedding, used way too much. The border is very '70's with a nod to art deco, neither of which go well with your Chinese characters. No it's not common knowledge...
    Today, 04:06 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Big hello from China
    KitchWitch
    Hi Janet and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:08 AM
  • janetm1000
    Big hello from China
    janetm1000
    Hi there,

my name is Janet! I'm from Germany, but live and work in China.
    I used to work in interior design and did quite a lot of 3D modelling for event companies as well in my past....
    Today, 02:59 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Logo

Looking for the new Holiday Inn Express logo. Any suggestions?

You can get it, but I am pretty sure it is trademarked. If it is for commercial use, I suggest you contact Holiday Inn headquarters.
    “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/

They have it here, but again, you need permission to use it. Unless you are doing work for a Holiday Inn Express. But if you are doing work for them then they should be able to get you their logo.
      *sings* "I am slowly going crazy 1.2.3.4.5.6. switch. Slowly crazy am I going 6.5.4.3.2.1. switch"

Comment

Use BotW carefully. Not only do you need permission, there are a lot of crap things on there that are LiveTraces.

Comment

I have done some work with Holiday Inn and Best Western. If you have a client with them they will supply you with you logos you need and the specifications about how to use them. Your client should have access to a media site that has the downloads (it is passworded) or else you can contact them direct from their websites (there is an information email) with your client name and they will send you what you need.
          I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

^^ yep, they have a password site to get what you need. Go through the proper channels on this. they also have some guidelines depending on how it's getting used. They usually are pretty good at responding in a decent time.

Comment

Can anybody point to the source that says you need permission to use another company's logo for commercial work? I don't question it, but it would be nice to know exactly where this is stated so I can back myself up when I talk to clients.

Comment

Originally posted by salsa View Post
                Can anybody point to the source that says you need permission to use another company's logo for commercial work? I don't question it, but it would be nice to know exactly where this is stated so I can back myself up when I talk to clients.
                It's basic copyright Salsa. They own the rights to the artwork and therefore you must have permission to use it within their guidelines. Just like when you use a photograph you must have purchased the rights or taken the photo yourself.
                (I know clients can be annoying about this... and say they pay franchise fees etc for rights to the logo... those rights extend to using it within the guidelines specified... usually right in their franchise agreement, like Holiday Inn for example)

Comment

Thanks, Audentia.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Lexian. Good luck on the BW logo.

Comment

It will usually say something directly in the corporate standards.
                    It isn't copyright in this case, it is Trademark. Trademarking rules differ a little bit from copyright rules. The terms of ownership are different.

What's even more fun is editing Trademarks out of images. I once worked on an exhibit and legal caught an Old Navy logo on a t-shirt. We had to reprint the panel with that logo airbrushed out.

Comment

Sorry yes it's trademark at that point (thanks PD!)... generally I explain it as like copyright to people cause they seem to understand that word...

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your help. I appreciate it.

Comment

It's a trademark unless it's a service mark. Our hospitals' logos are service marked, since we provide a service, not a product.
                          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X