X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pantone solid coated swatch book?

Maybe I am missing this in the resources stickies - but does anyone know where to get a good price on a pantone solid coated swatch book - I am guessing this is what I need as a reference when printing alot of screen printed apparel and for CMYK color builds for offset printing correct? If so, i have herd unionink.com is one place to get these - does anyone else recommend another place to get these or maybe a place to get used books that are current? Does getting a current swatch book matter?

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks!

That link for UnionInk advertizes a "screen printing" formula guide that they say is discontinued. It is basically the same as the Solid Coated Guide but with ink mixes.

If you are going to be doing printing you want at least a Solid coated color and a Bridge. Solid uncoated is sometimes useful too if you are doing dye sublimation on fabrics rather than screenprinting. Most silkscreeners will have a solid coated guide and that plus a Bridge is pretty handy at times for offset print. You might try a Formula guide too but I'd check around with a few people you intend to use as vendors before shelling out for a discontinued color guide.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I didn't even see that they were discontinued I was referred there by a large printer today. So if I am doing a lot of basic apparel/screen printing (shirts, hoodies etc.) and offset printing (business cards, posters, flyers, brochures etc.) - and I am on a budget of about $75 - what do you recommend exactly?

Comment

Ask for a christmas present?

For $75 I dunno. As much as I hate Pantone, they really do have the market cornered. And it's unfortunate but in order to practice you do need the tools of the trade. Call the link you have and ask them when the guide was printed. If it was in the last year, it should be ok for another year or two if you care for it properly. If it's already over 2 years old, pass.
        Do you have a student ID?
        Academicsuperstore.com has the Pantone Essentials or the Essentials Plus for about half of what Pantone.com sells them for. Still about 3x your $75.

Comment

I just bought my books (solid coated and uncoated formula guides and solid coated and uncoated bridge) on Amazon. The formula guides were about $70 and the bridge set was about $90. I didn't think that was too bad.
          Everyone is born right-handed. Only the gifted overcome it.

Comment

all I have to say on cheap Pantone books is check the dates and the covers. If over 2 years old, don't do it. If the covers are sunstruck, you take a chance on the contents being off as well.
            I gotta tell ya, on a good day with two different people with two different books from the same press run, the colors will be pretty near spot on BUT I have had several experiences lately where we have had some differences in chip color from books of the same year. So much so that chip books are a good idea. That way you can tear off a chip and send with the hard copy of the job if color is that critical.

Don't believe Pantone when they say they never change their colors. They did in 2000 and they could do it again. A pre-2001 book is absolutely useless no matter if it was kept in dark storage all that time.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-18-2009, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X