Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Text Wrap in Illustrator - No worky worky
    KitchWitch
    Hi StevieD009 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 12:18 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Anyone else only have a diploma¿?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Frodo and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 12:17 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to creative business cards
    KitchWitch
    Hi Damonharris and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
    Today, 12:12 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Catalog Design
    KitchWitch
    Hi and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 12:12 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Hi everyone!
    KitchWitch
    Welcome.
    Today, 12:08 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITT-Tech school

Hi,
    So while I have my associate's degree in this field from a completely crappy school, I was just looking at the ITT-Tech programs and was wondering if anyone went there for Graphic Design?
    I was looking through the programs and they offer a Bachelor's Degree in the field and well, while I can't afford to go back to school right now, it was something I was considering.
    Anyone have any good or bad thoughts about this school? I hate the place I went to, they didn't teach me half the stuff any other school would have.
    Thanks for any info you can provide
    ~All that we see or seem, Is but a dream within a dream~

I don't know much about the program, but to me, ITT Tech has always been synonymous with trade type professions like hvac, plumbing, electrical and possibly nursing...maybe times have changed. but I'll be honest, if someone came to me with a resume to apply for a graphics position (which happens) and on it said degree from ITT Tech, I'd probably be confused at first then put it in the circular file bin.

Real world experience is what matters. I currently manage two graphic designers who are recent grads from accredited schools and neither one have real world experience. They're both good learners and have some book skills, but hit the ground running skills? absolutely not.
    “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” Lance Armstrong

Comment

Thanks!

The school I went to was pretty crappy. The Graphic Arts program was 20 months long, all the design classes online and well, the teachers flat out sucked. We only had 1-2 classes every month (we changed each month) and each class was about 4 hours long. You can't learn to much of that certain thing in just a month so that is why I asked about the ITT-Tech school since I found they do Graphics classes and stuff. With the so called "degree" I have now, I don't even want to apply at any GD jobs because my skills aren't enough to help out anyone in the job field. I do my best with small freelance jobs here and there that don't hardly pay at all.

I know my fiance wanted to go there for criminal justice at one point but also endured the hell that was CollegeAmerica/Stevens Henager. Thanks for the info though.
      Last edited by LVDesigns; 02-19-2010, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah, and take what I said with a grain of salt...I'm just saying what I would do if you came in and applied for a job...other people may do different.

But most will agree real world experience can go a long way.

A while back i was talking to someone about how to gain experience if you can't pick up work and he said do a volunteer site for a non profit you like, that way you can build your resume and get into it since you have passion for it....just a thought
        “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” Lance Armstrong

Comment

My fiance and I had the chance to volunteer at our High School in his younger brother's GDIM class (Graphic Arts) because the teacher needed some help with some of the kids in her class but she never contacted us further about it which kind of sucks.
          I have been thinking about just doing some random designs for T-shirts and posters and all that just to build up some more. I have plenty of Graphic Designs from my days in class and very little of freelance work i've done. I would like to get back into school but thanks to hefty bill of CollegeAmerica that sooo was not worth it, I don't have the money to go back for quite a while.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X