X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pantone guide to get?

I need to get a pantone colour book of swatches, but am not sure if there's an industry standard one or something. Could anyone point to as good book, swatch set or something? Thanks.
    My portfolio.

For print?
    Get the set that includes Solid Coated, Solid Uncoated, and a Pantone Bridge (the solid to process guide). You don't really need the Matte, Metallic or Pastel. Ignore the plastics/textiles unless you are an interior decorator. Ignore the Goe set. Pantone can have one or the other, PMS or GOE, but not both and they need to get that drilled into their collective consciousness.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Is it a book by Pantone I get then? I don't know what I'm looking for, just want to be able to accurately chose colours that will print out the colour in the book.
      My portfolio.

Comment

Are you a student?

Comment

If you're looking for certainty in 4 colour printing then you're better off getting the Solid to Process guide, but Pantone colours are used because they mostly can't be recreated using CMYK.

But the solid to process guide will show you how a pantone colour looks when printed using the process colours CMYK.

Make sure you tell the printers that you used the Pantone Solid to Process book and point out what colours you want to match, like if it's blue or something make sure you tell them that that blue should match these CMYK values when printed.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

If a student, this guide set has more than you will need.
            http://www.academicsuperstore.com/pr...entials/738116

If not a student but in the US, you can look for the same thing at any art supply site. I use Hyatts cuz they are the cheapest I've found and also supply single page replacements for the chipbooks I use (wish they had a whole chip page of just PMS 485 )

Fandecks are fine to start with. If you do a lot of spot work where color is crazy critical, then you might invest in the chip books. Close is good when it comes to fandecks because of the handling they get. You should replace them every two years or less if wear and tear is bad.

Eugene, PMS Solid colors are for Spot printing or large format printing. You wouldn't use them for 4-color press if you don't want to be disappointed. The thing you have to be very sure about is how the printer wants the files. If you send me, a large format guy, a file with Pantone Bridge colors applied to it instead of solid coated colors, that would be bad. Even though my inks are CMYK, I have a much wider gamut than a press and not only can hit a large proportion of PMS colors, the machines are calibrated to do so. The Bridge numbers appear to be the same as coated but use PC as the suffix instead of C. They are totally different colors when their numbers are read by our rips.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 04-18-2010, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Sorry.. Pantone Colour Bridge is what you need to see the CMYK breakdown and how the Pantone prints in CMYK, it used to be called Pantone Solid to Process

PD - interesting stuff on the large format. I'll have to keep that in mind.
              Last edited by hank_scorpio; 04-18-2010, 02:50 PM.

Comment

We tell everyone to give us the Pantone Solid - Coated or Uncoated. We take it from there to match up to our own formula guides. If we end up in a gamut problem - we educate.

jade

Comment

I had someone send a job in before that was a green but they specified a pantone colour and that was on the job sheet. I checked the plates and it had the pantone number reference and it all looked good to go.

But instead of being printed purple, it was printed green, the printer used the wrong colour because they had a different pantone book that referenced the number to a different colour.

And of course the purple sample in the job bag magically disappeared too.

Just a little story to let you know it's important to communicate the colours, the cmyk values, and pantone book you picked the colour from and all that to the printers.

Comment

I am a student yes. Does that mean I can get it cheaper or something then?

So I get Pantone Colour Bridge then? My tutor said he had a book that gave the cmyk values for the pantones colour, so he then just put the cmyk value into illustrator and when printed it comes out the same colour as the pantone one in the book.
                    My portfolio.

Comment

That's generally how it works.

But always tell the printer what pantone colour you're trying to replicate in CMYK and let them know what values you have used too.

They can then make sure to match that and get it "spot" on for you. Pun wasn't intended, but there ya go.

Comment

not quite.

The CMYK color will show different on nearly every press that you print it out on. My wide format will bring different than our duplicator, than our DTG, than our catalog printer, etc. it will also print differently depending on what profile is assigned in print production, and what substrate (be it paper or vinyl or cloth) it is printed on.

Unless you are printing a SPOT color, expect differences. If you need to hit the CMYK color perfectly, then you work with your printer to either do a test swatch run on their system or they will have profiles to give you when exporting your artwork.

Jade

Comment

Oh, it's all so confusing

I'm not sure what spot printing is really either. Is it worth me getting a pantone colour book then do you think? It's just so if I do business cards, flyers etc for freelance clients, I know what colour it will come out.

I just bought spyder 2 colorvision for my monitor so maybe that'll be good enough?
                          My portfolio.

Comment

Yeh you can always tell when something on two different presses, like a 20 page brochure, 4 pager done on a smaller machine, 16 pager done on another, 4 wrap the 16, you can tell the difference in the colours.

Comment

Originally posted by nicolanicola View Post
                              Oh, it's all so confusing

I'm not sure what spot printing is really either. Is it worth me getting a pantone colour book then do you think? It's just so if I do business cards, flyers etc for freelance clients, I know what colour it will come out.

I just bought spyder 2 colorvision for my monitor so maybe that'll be good enough?

Depending on what type of printing you're doing; large format/Digital/litho/flexo/screen etc.

I mainly do Lithographic prints - so the below is from my experience in printing.

Litho Printing is a 4 colour process using Cyan Magenta Yellow and Black, CMYK.

Spot colours are colours that cannot be achieved using the 4 colour process because it's outside the gamut (range) of colours that CMYK can prodcuce.

When you use Spot colours it's reproduce a colour that CMYK can't. So it's then put on a different Plate for printing, and that means that the printers run CMYK + 1 spot colour.

You can of course have CMYK + 2 spot colour or 3 spot colours.

Branding of something is very important and that the colours are consistent too.

So you have companies that use spot colours to brand themselves so they are always recognised with that colour.

Some logos that are one colour or two colour or three colour can use spot colours to print their logo/brand or anything etc.

If it's 4 spot colours then you can print the 4 colours in Spots, it's still 4 plates, or they could use CMYK to reproduce it.

If you put a spot colour logo or something on a 4 colour print you may just want to pay for 4 plates and 4 colour printing (CMYK).

Or you could choose to print the CMYK + 1 spot colour, which is a bit more expensive.

Prices would differ depending on the machinery in the printing company. Some only have 4 colour press and a 1 colour press. So they print the 4 colour and then cut the paper down so it fits in the 1 colour press and then the spot colour is printed.

That means you get charged for 2 machine usage and for the guillotine etc.

Whereas some places would have a 5 colour, 8 colour, 10 colour etc. printing press and do it all in 1 pass, meaning you just incur the charge of an extra plate, or something along those lines.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X