Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 show masterpiece work of art or NOT???

Alright, so i'm thinking this site might be useful with my interns.

Basically, he or she can post their assignments/graphic artwork for a t-shirt company and have fella creative, artistic....alright enough of that....

So basically you guys give him or her much needed feedbacks so this way he or she can revamp their work befor sending any final assignments my way which i believe should cut down on any un-necessary scrutiny on my part.

Can anyone suggest some examples i can look at from a graphic designer/t-shirts viewpoint i would like to have an idea of what sort of stuff is submitted or how to formatt, etc....

Also, what are some pitfalls you yourself have encountered with doing this? the pros & the cons please. Be honest.

xoxoxooo

lee

Interns work for free so that you can teach them the ropes and guide them for free.

It is a two way relationship. You should be giving them feedback. Sure, they can find feedback from other people too in their own time.

The pitfalls of using examples is that some designers copy too much. Some clients love a design that they see elsewhere and ask designers to copy. Not a good idea. Best to start fresh with new concepts and the artists own styles.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Interns should be getting direction and lots of it from inside the company they are working for.
      They can use other resources too, but their primary feedback should be from you.
      I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

man i'd hate to be one of your interns.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

if they're going to be getting their feedback primarily from us, then what's the point of them having an internship with your company?
          Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
          | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
          | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

ROFLMAO! This is a great joke.

Comment

First and foremost i would like for anyone to please point out where I have indicated that ANY intern that work for my company works for "FREE" not only do they get paid every single month ON-TIME but i also give very generous bonuses that can range $100 extra and up; I've given as much as $500 bonuses so please show me where this is written where i am such a monster???

Second, I thought this was a community of my peers coming together to "help teach" not ridicule me nor my company; I simply post a question to get your thoughts/feedbacks but it turns out I am made out to be a evil employer here, that was not the purpose of me "asking" your opinions it was to gather should i or should i not have them post their assignments?"

I would like to thank you however, you have clearly answered for me so i now realize that it is not a good idea to have him or her do so, I thank you for that but all that other B.S. was truly un-necessary; I am an excellent employer; I take my workers out to lunch, dinner; I give them gas money; I turn them on to other clients so they can make additional income; in essence I have NEVER NOT pay ANY of my workers for my company, NOT EVER....so your "personal" opinions was not asked for and the young man who said you wouldn't want to work for my company, oh trust me if you knew me you would I am most certain of that; I am a "fair" employer and un-like many people who abuse interns I value their time and efforts as I too came from a performing arts schooling; my workers don't leave my company if anything new people are trying to get in on a regular basis.

So, I thank you for your time for I learned alot here. I thought the point of these forum is to provide resources not judgment; I simply asked a question isn't this the purpose of us coming together??? Thank you "my fellow artists" but i am truly dissapointed in your misrepresentation of such a fine craft.

To recapitulate: I got my question answered and thank you for your time.

Comment

Sorry, but you should have referred to them as your employees. Interns are generally not paid. Interns are generally juniors that are learning the ropes in return for fee work. They are in limbo between being a student and a full time paid employee. Paid interns do exist though.

I guess the reason why everyone was so defensive is that interns are often taken advantage of. The moment a intern starts returning a decent profit for a company is a good time to start paying them.

If you are paying your workers, then fine. They are your employees.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by iceprincess View Post
                  I simply post a question to get your thoughts/feedbacks but it turns out I am made out to be a evil employer here, that was not the purpose of me "asking" your opinions it was to gather should i or should i not have them post their assignments?

so your "personal" opinions was not asked for
                  haha ok

and the young man who said you wouldn't want to work for my company...
                  in your original post you never mentioned anything about a paid internship, most internships are nonpaying (like mine was.) regardless of that dumping your interns onto a forum instead of reviewing their work yourself is kinda lame, i know i'd be upset if that happened to me. if you don't have time for all of you interns maybe you shouldn't take on so many?

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I could be mistaken, but I kinda got from the first post that they may not have the expertise to review the designs themselves. The aesthetics, sure, everybody is an expert on aesthetics, but the nuts and bolts of how something should be formatted.

Iceprincess, we don't know you, but we're familiar with the types that think graphic designers should be falling all over themselves to help provide free advice and services. I'm not saying that you are one of those people, but when you say things like:

"So basically you guys give him or her much needed feedbacks so this way he or she can revamp their work befor sending any final assignments my way which i believe should cut down on any un-necessary scrutiny on my part."

Well, that tends to set off the alarm bells.

P.S. You did wrap up your first post by saying "Be honest. "

Comment

Your initial entry just sounded to me like you were saying "I don't want to spend time helping my intern, can you guys do it for me" which is why we all jumped on you. If you don't want to help them? Then why would you take them on? And like everyone else said, the majority of internships are non paying. The fact that you do pay your intern is nice, but still not worth it if they're not going to get the feedback, assistance and knowledge that comes from an internship. It's not just about getting work experience, it's about getting professional experience from someone who wants to help them. Not pass them off onto a forum for answers. They can do that on their own, and don't have to be at an office for 8 am in the process.
                      Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                      | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                      | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

we pay out interns at my office. And I still wouldn't dream of telling them to ask a forum for feedback. We give tons of feedback and have one-on-one discussions with our interns to explain to them what is working and what is not inside of what they did. There are specific things we look for here, that maybe a general forum of strangers to our interns would not know. Therefore I hold to the original idea... whether you pay them or not, it's still really, really important that you spend time with them. If you are unable to do so then you should look at hiring another employee who can deal with your interns if you want to continue down that road.
                        I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X