No announcement yet.

Master's in Graphic Design or Recommended Programs

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master's in Graphic Design or Recommended Programs

I have a BFA in Graphic Design and I am pursuing continuing my education with a Master's Degree in Design.

Does anyone recommend any good schools? I am leaning in the direction of Web Design or Interaction Design, but I am not sure what prereqs I would need to continue.

Please help!

What area are you in? Or does it matter
    "Insert Sig Here"

How long have you been in the industry? IMO the Masters should compliment your industry experience, not mirror it. For instance, rather than go back to school for a Masters in Graphic Design, you might consider an advanced degree in a corollary area like Advertising/Marketing or Exhibit Design or a Teaching Certification, or if planning to start your own studio, an MBA.

The trick with a Masters is not to appear overqualified. You don't say if you are currently a student who wishes to continue on or if you've been 'out there' a while and looking for a theoretical step up.

The problem with the BFA student who goes directly into a Masters program is they are high on theory but have no real practical skills.

The returning student may have the skills but a Masters in Graphic Design may appear as overkill by the HR person doing the sifting of resumes. Not always but sometimes.

The returning student who supplements their degree with a different but related degree is far more marketable IMO.

Latest Topics

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2013 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us