Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Kayekaye
    Reply to Running into brick wall!
    Kayekaye
    I worked for a couple major retail outfits for several years. During that time I encountered much the same thing. We had an art director and creative director but beyond that the buyers of each product...
    Today, 09:06 PM
  • Natrius
    Feedback on record cover
    Natrius
    Hello!
    First of all, I'm new to this forum. I'm a graphic designing Swede who also loves writing/playing music, and this forum seems like a cool place!

I'm working on a record cover,...
    Today, 08:40 PM
  • design4life
    Critique for a Video Organization Logo
    design4life
    http://imgur.com/vGVpWIk

Hi again. This time I've gone with something a little more creative. I do look at this logo and think, "Pretty good" but there is something that I can't...
    Today, 07:58 PM
  • skribe
    Reply to school project one pager
    skribe
    I think it is well executed. Especially for a school project. The roll overs are good, and I really like the eagle spreading its wings. The only thing that caught my eye was the label text on the banners...
    Today, 07:06 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Can anyone help identifying this script typeface?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Eann and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:00 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Graphic Design

Hi everyone, i'm Natalie and I am new to the forum. I have an interest in graphic design and pursuing this as a career. However the problem is at the moment I am a student studying ICT and only one of my modules resembles graphic design. So I donít know if my degree will necessarily help me towards the job I want. I am going into my third year soon so I canít change my degree at this stage, but if it would help me I would take a masters in a design related subject area.
    What I wanted to ask to those who will have more experience than me is:
    Will my degree help me at all in the future with getting a design job?
    I want to work outside my degree to experience, so what skills would help me?
    Is there anything like voluntary work anywhere for practice?
    What websites, books, etc have you found useful?

Thanks to anyone who has read this and to anyone who posts a reply thank you its really appreciated.

What is ICT?

Have you researched what it means to have a career in Graphic Design. There is a difference between having an interest and having a passion. Without the passion, you won't have a desire to pursue what you need to do in order to succeed against all the competition out there who dabbles in it with 'an interest.'

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
      What is ICT?

Have you researched what it means to have a career in Graphic Design. There is a difference between having an interest and having a passion. Without the passion, you won't have a desire to pursue what you need to do in order to succeed against all the competition out there who dabbles in it with 'an interest.'
      ICT is Information Communication Technologies. Basically it is computing, the modules I have covered involved networks, creating websites, programming, databases and applications, learning about businesses, designing still graphics, team work, system analysis and using alot of different software.

And I have been researching it quite alot and I do have a passion for graphic design, and over all the modules I have covered the one I do put my all into is when I am designing because I love doing it. Which is why i do what to pursue it as a career .

Comment

You should look at job postings for the kind of position you'd like to have and see if it matches up with what you're learning in school. Most places looking for designers are going to want a certain degree and/or years of experience before they'll even consider you. Usually 2-5 years or more.

If you can come out of your schooling with an impressive portfolio of websites you could apply for web design positions. Does your school offer dual majors or have any classes on design theory or typography? That will give you a stronger footing on the design side of things. It wouldn't hurt to talk it over with your academic advisor.

The best kind of voluntary work for additional experience would be an internship. An internship is an invaluable experience where you'll learn things that they just can't cover in class. If you do pursue an internship, make sure you'll be working with someone that can guide you. Otherwise you end up floundering on your own.

Comment

You need to talk to and advisor at your school to see if you can cross credit anything you have learned to a design related degree. Who knows? Maybe you can salvage a bit of what you have. Is there really any point in continuing for a whole year for a degree you don't really want?
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Ė Winnie the Pooh

Comment

What level is the course you are taking? Is it a degree, diploma.....?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
            Working...
            X