Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• DanCMU
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    DanCMU
    The period, to me, makes it more of an assertion rather than a suggestion. I know that's not what that's used for (technically speaking) but it makes it pack a little more punch.

I vote to...
    Today, 11:03 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Dissertation topic
    PrintDriver
    What's a selfie?
    Just kidding.
    Narcissistic for the most part, more fleeting than a hashtag in general, and somehow people think they can make social statements with them. Society has become...
    Today, 10:48 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic Designer's Website Help

I started this thread to hopefully bring in resources for graphic designers who need help - from basic to advanced - on building their OWN website to show their portfolios, advertise their expertise, and other web-presence necessities.

If anyone has any resources, free and paid (hopefully, mostly free), where a graphic designer can go to get the help they need to build/update their online presence, please post here.

What would help would be:
    • URLs to free CSS/XHTML website templates that would look good for a graphic designer's website.
    • List of books that are good for graphic designers who aren't web developers (logic-minded help for artistic-minded people)
    • Online tutorials
    • Samples of good websites of graphic designers
    Some template sites I found:
    1. Open Source Templates: http://opensourcetemplates.org/
    2. Free CSS Templates from Free-CSS.com:
      http://www.free-css.com/free-css-templates/page1.php
    3. Open Source Web Templates (UK): http://www.oswt.co.uk/

I've been trying to get my website up and running, did the design but had lots of trouble with coding. I tried WYSIWYG softwares(Freeway and Rapidweaver), did not find them useful unless you have some sort of knowledge of how CSS and HTML stuff work.
    Have tried various templates, but since i have minimum knowledge on coding and putting a website together, had no luck with editing and customizing them neither.
    I tried Flash Catalyst, pretty awesome software, requires no coding or whatsoever knowledge to create interactive sites, flash galleries and many more. I did a site with a few pages, gallery and audio pages - looked great, but it was too slow to load and wasn't really useful for anything else. I figured that Flash Catalyst was an excellent tool to create interactive widgets, galleries and other media, but it was not the best tool to build a whole website.
    I tried Joomla to build an online portfolio, but it was template based only, and to build your own template you had to use a template building software ( Aristeer ), and you'd still need to know a little about CSS.
    I ended up going with Wordpress, picking up a "Weaver" theme that was very easy to customize, and it had a bunch of tools to make it a breeze, plus now i have my blog on my site as well. And my expenses were minimum, i'm only paying for my hosting, Wordpress and most of the plugins you'll need is free. (As well as Joomla)
    I'd say if you have very little to none knowledge on how to code stuff, and tight on budget, go with Joomla or Wordpress, they are open source and have various useful plugins for creating your portfolio website.
    Clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory...
    ---------------------
    Selektor

Comment

^Is that supposed to be spam?

Oh, and if you're a creative professional looking to put up an online portfolio without dealing with the issues of web hosting, coding, etc., then you should try behance.net.

It's sort of like DeviantArt, but with a more professional image. You won't have your own site, but they have a very slick and clean user portfolio page. You can also use it to showcase video works and written works.

I've personally been very impressed with the quality of work I've seen on that site.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
      Working...
      X