Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• CataclysmX
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    CataclysmX
    I really like this new concept, it definitely speaks "messenger" to me. At first I didn't know how to feel about the backwards e but realized it looks good because it's like they are facing...
    Today, 04:16 AM
  • CataclysmX
    Reply to Steampunk Tea Brand Logo Critique- Trying to choose final concept
    CataclysmX
    I would say J2 is working the best so far, I like that logo. I would just try and find a matching typeface that goes with it, or maybe even the same font, for using on the name below the emblem/pictoral...
    Today, 04:09 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Freelance Opportunities as a stu
    Buda
    I would tread carefully.

No one here is going to be actively encouraging a student to freelance. It's usually education first, internship, a few years of full time design work before freelancing....
    Today, 04:04 AM
  • AmitMan
    Reply to First job out of college, totally overwhelmed and need advice
    AmitMan
    Never underestimate the use of keyboard shortcuts. Even though this might be something like a prerequisite to getting a job in design, make sure you know all the most used shortcuts. Also know the tool...
    Today, 01:25 AM
  • raincheck
    Reply to Freelance Opportunities as a stu
    raincheck
    I guess it is weird that they have a coding team. The original message actually just says they "have a team who can code." It's not a big/successful business, they founded it a year ago, but...
    Today, 12:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireworks? Huh?

Well, I bought CS4 a while ago and only really ever used Ps, Ai, Dw, Pr, and Ae. No In because I haven't done publications yet myself, I passed AI designs to my friend and he did that part the one time I had exposure to In.

But getting into the web end I see I have fireworks here and started playing with it the other day, but where does fireworks sit in the Adobe package?

What would you use fireworks over flash for?

I have used flash but I really don't use it for anything other than fading a page in... I am looking up mouse-over effects now too (basic stuff). But what is fireworks suited better for than flash? I guess I am just trying to find out what program I should spend evenings in right now...
    Last edited by Alacrious; 08-18-2010, 04:07 PM.

With my limited use of Fireworks I have created Buttons for websites, and there's a few basic one's in the samples. But you can create your own. I was then able to export the file to HTML and then bring it into Dreamweaver for the NavBar.

The text remained fully editable in Dreamweaver and it was helpful. I was able to set all the Links for the buttons in Fireworks. The buttons can easily have rollovers and things like that no problem at all. And all exports to HTML for insertion into the HTML or into Dreamweaver.

It's also useful for saving files for the Web. As I think that it has a better compression for JPGs the exact (if not better) quality than photoshop and makes much smaller files than photoshop.

It has advantages over photoshop and illustrator in that the content can be exported with vector and raster and imported with them in tact.

As far as I know though, the "code" produced by Fireworks isn't great.

That's all I remember off the top of my head?

I'd put fireworks in the Web category, perhaps for saving images, creating small gif animations, and things like that.

The animations thing is pretty simple from Fireworks, easy enough to get the hang of. And I feel it's much better than the Animation support in photoshop. Again you get to export to HTML (and/or Dreamweaver, can't remember?)

So I'd put it with the Web Packages and for prepping artwork to be used on the web.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by eugenetyson View Post
      It has advantages over photoshop and illustrator in that the content can be exported with vector and raster and imported with them in tact.
      This right here sells me. Ive been trying to do vector stuffs with Illustrator exported to flash, but obviously you lose things and it arbitrarily will combine groups in my experience which has screwed ideas over in the past.

So it exports it as a flash object? Or has its own extension? As long as Dw recognizes it and uploads it accordingly it really doesn't matter I guess...

*edit* just read you wrote it will export as HTML... thats perfect.
      Last edited by Alacrious; 08-18-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I just meant export to dreamweaver, not sure about Flash?

You can export to SWF but not FLA, so no editing of the flash file, and simple rollover button didn't turn out well in SWF.
        Last edited by hank_scorpio; 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X