X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Graphic Design - books

Im just starting out and im wondering where to start.. I want to do hip, glossy, fly bright colors.. similar to this http://www.mefdesigns.com

also where do I get books on text/typography like this guy designs???

Some say you start with layers... ?

Welcome to the forum, busdown. Please read THESE threads, which explain the forum rules and give some of our history. Enjoy your stay!

Also check out the Resources subforum. There's a ton of good suggestions there.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by busdown View Post
      Im just starting out and im wondering where to start.. I want to do hip, glossy, fly bright colors.. similar to this http://www.mefdesigns.com

also where do I get books on text/typography like this guy designs???

Some say you start with layers... ?
      OMG My ear drums have just burst. DO NOT OPEN THIS LINK LATE AT NIGHT OR IN THE WORK PLACE.

About the work on his site,,..

Yes it looks nice and is full of bling, but what good is it to a shop that sells elegant clothes? or a dentist?

He has created him/her self a very specific target market.

To learn design you must open your mind to all types of design until you build a style and then can you pick the direction you want to bring your work.

Just type design, graphic design, learn graphic design, typography into the search box on amazon and you will find tons of books.

(EDIT)

Also unless that guys has paid to actully use any of them images " which I highly dought because he is selling them" then what he/she is doing is against the law.

Start with reading about copyright and intelectual property laws, every designer should know and understand them.
      Last edited by Oldat29; 10-04-2010, 12:09 AM.

Comment

I don't think there are any books out there on how to do this kind of design. I might be wrong, but designers generally don't aspire to blind their clients. Or in Oldat29's case, deafen.

But if this is what you really want to do, it's all about studying this kind of design for hours. Get a feel for what filters, fonts, colouring they use by studying. See what works, what doesn't. See what is too loud, what is just right. Wear sunglasses...and sunscreen.
        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

http://www.photoshoproadmap.com/Phot...ts-on-the-web/

http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/desig...ect-tutorials/

Google search "photoshop text effects" and "illustrator text effects"

Ideally you'd want to create vector graphics for the text, so you'd use Illustrator for that, not photoshop.

But you shouldn't design your flyer entirely in Photoshop, you should use a design layout program like InDesign or Quark.

Simple flyers and posters can be created in InDesign, Quark or Illustrator - but try not to make whole flyers inside photoshop!

So where do you start? Find some computer classes locally and do an introductory course to learn the basics of the software. Look up DTP courses in your area.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by budafist View Post
            I don't think there are any books out there on how to do this kind of design. I might be wrong, but designers generally don't aspire to blind their clients. Or in Oldat29's case, deafen.

But if this is what you really want to do, it's all about studying this kind of design for hours. Get a feel for what filters, fonts, colouring they use by studying. See what works, what doesn't. See what is too loud, what is just right. Wear sunglasses...and sunscreen.
            Yea because im now def....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Oldat29 View Post
              OMG My ear drums have just burst. DO NOT OPEN THIS LINK LATE AT NIGHT OR IN THE WORK PLACE.
              Thanks for the heads up! I just caught the mute button before the site opened

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Sorry about the lack of sound warning. I was at work when I approved this from the queue, and suppose I had the headphones plugged in, but wasn't wearing them.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                Working...
                X