Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector Stock Art - Lions

I'm trying to find a vector source for the lion(s) in this image:

The client I have really likes these lions and I don't want to recreate the wheel (reproduce in AI) if I don't have to. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If you have the rights to use that image, you should not have any trouble getting a hold of it in vector format. It actually appears to be for sale (and copyrighted) through the site that you hotlinked it from.

If you don't have the rights to do so, you should be aware that redrawing it in Illustrator does not make it "yours" or give you the right to use it without the original artist's permission.

You're actually better off drawing a lion of your own and vectorizing that - particular if it's for any sort of commercial use - so as not to run into any copyright issues.
    Last edited by morea; 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM.
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

coat of arms and crests can be touchy. if the lion is coming off an actual family's COA, they own the legal rights to it (each lion is slightly different from one COA to another), however, there are generic clip-art ones out there you can buy, but like all clipart, it can't be used as a logo (see the EULA).

COA and Crests were bestowed upon families by Nobility, and without the permission of the actual families, you're not allowed to re-create any part of them (some parts of them are generic and can be, such as the actual shield, the leafing around the edges, and the helmet itself, but not the dressing on top. I looked into this a couple years ago). I have a tattoo of my family crest, and am getting one of my family COA, but I have been in touch directly with the current Clan Leader (yes, scottish familys still elect clan leaders) and have received his actual permission to do so. Most people don't, and most clan leaders aren't going to do anything about it, but technically, if you're using a lion specific to that family for something totally unrelated, it could cause issues. Best bet it like Mo said, Create an original. Look at 3 or 4 styles of lions, and create your own based on that.

(just my 2)
      Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
      | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
      | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

The source of the pic does not have vector art. I would swear, I've seen them available for purchase on the web as royalty free stock art, but I couldn't find them now that I want them.

I am well aware of any copyright issues, but was trying to use the power of the internet to help my search. If I have to go the route of recreating the lions it will be different to eliminate any potential copyright issues.

Comment

like I said....there are some available that you can buy as clipart packages (I think it has something like 20 "COA style images" available in it for you to use how ever you want, as long as it's not in a logo. Clipart can't be used for logos).

Check out designious. They used to have some Heraldry packs you could buy that came with stuff.
          Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
          | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
          | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

did you try istock? search lion emblem

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Originally posted by morea View Post

You're actually better off drawing a lion of your own and vectorizing that - particular if it's for any sort of commercial use - so as not to run into any copyright issues.
              ^^
              This.

You'd get it done MUCH quicker this way and have far less worries about usage restrictions, copyrights, etc.

Print off about 4-5 Coat-of arms lions, take time examining them (they are all pretty similar). Then draw your own version, scan it and trace it in Illustrator.
              It shouldn't take you more than an hour.
              Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Assuming this is a designer who can actually draw...

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                  Assuming this is a designer who can actually draw...
                  I'd expect any designer to have at least some analytical skills. it's not a character portrait--it's a fairly simple icon (which could stand further simplification to go in a logo). If a designer can't hack that

Comment

"Hack" being an operative word?

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                      "Hack" being an operative word?

I suppose.

I came into Graphics from the fine-art world, so I am biased*, but the designers who can't do rudimentary work with a pencil are in the wrong line of work.

My drawing skills aren't worthy of bragging about--I have neglected the practice over time--but if I need something simple, I just draw it.

Comment

Oh, I'm with you there.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X