Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• georgemaharis1
    HI!
    georgemaharis1
    Just posted in printing and prepress. Hope to see it approved shortly!
    Today, 12:36 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    Register from a Gerber to a Roland or vice versa?
    georgemaharis1
    I need to be able to routinely prototype / make comps of self adhesive labels. This includes both clear and opaque. I have access to a ROLAND VS which does a VERY good job, but the metallics it can...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • desmiley1
    Reply to Illustrator won't let me highlight text?
    desmiley1
    Same here, new account...Thanks so much for posting this answer. The zombie post lives and has been re-awakened for 2014!
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
  • Sbower
    Reply to Re Branding my personal logo.
    Sbower
    Thank you everyone for you comments they have been very helpful. I do have to agree after looking it over again I don't think the icon reads very effectively. And therefore makes it a bit useless. And...
    Yesterday, 09:58 PM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Are you able to read the text?
    PanToshi
    No prob. The vBulletin forum software is really kinda… well, borked up. I'm glad the workaround works for ya.
    Yesterday, 09:51 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact of new media on contemporary graphic design.

Hi Guys,
    Having a bit of trouble with my essay . Would like to hear some opinions and views about this topic.

Discuss the impact of new media on contemporary graphic design.

How has the emergence of new media and technologies shaped design and changed designers role?

How have designers adapted to the constant development of media?

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thankyou

How bout you give us your views first.
    And define what YOU mean by new media.
    We don't just do homework. We make you work for it.

Comment

IMO new media is like the Internet, Websites, macbook, iphone, also software eg. flash, illustrator, photoshop and even 3d animation.

How has the emergence of new media and technologies shaped design and changed designers role?

well designers are no longer static. we start making our design with animation" in mind maybe. will the design work when it moves around? and vice versa. so design in new media is more challenging since there are more parameters to consider. Plus due to the new media the design will be used in prints, animation or even web design. A designer tries hard to tie in a single theme to all 3 aspects.

so how does that change the designers role? well alot i think. A designer used to be asked to design just a poster or a print ad and that was it. But now with new media the designer needs to be a 'contemporary graphic designer', a multimedia artist, an animator, a web designer and also a programmer in some cases maybe? A designers role is more diverse nowadays.

How have designers adapted to the constant development of media?

judging by the amount of cool media on the internet these days. i say they adapted very well. They embraced the change which resulted in a bigger creative output. I believe it has made a designers job difficult but easier at the same time. Where a job may have taken then several days to complete, it now takes them several hours instead because of the technology and software available. But at the same time the designer has to learn alot more, with the range of media that he needs to use in order to keep up with todays needs within the design industry.

Your views please

Comment

I have replied, is my reply still being looked at by moderators??

Comment

Yep. New member.

Comment

Gee, PD....

I mean, how could you NOT be persuaded to help after being exposed to a direct ""?

You've obviously not read the newest Academics On-Line Study Standards Guide.

(I think that it might now be on YouTube.)

Comment

Originally posted by Azlan View Post
              Where a job may have taken then several days to complete, it now takes them several hours instead because of the technology and software available.
              I don't agree with this... building a website to send a message to people takes much, much longer than a good old poster.
              I think this is subjective to the type of media you are building.

Also... I'd be curious to know what percentage of "cool stuff" that is on the internet is not built by designers but by programmers. Not the same thing.

Some food for thought.
              I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Are you basing this on the premise that the people who develop 'animated stuff' for the internet don't do anything else either?

A graphic designer working for a corporate brand doesn't just do a poster or a print ad and that was it. When you work with a brand you and a bunch of other people sit down and consider all avenues of public contact before anything is brought to the computer. You don't just sit down and say, hey this would be cool on the internet. You have to look at all the other media where it will be used and not just electronic.

Has software as new media had an effect on design. Ya. Sure. It's allowed your 12 year old nephew down the street to sell his photoshop junk and call himself a designer. It's diluted the skilled craftsman pool down to a somewhat-creative-but-usually-production-clueless pool.

Comment

^ This is a good point PD. it's usually not individuals but teams of different types of skill sets that put together this kind of multimedia.
                  I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

"new media is like the Internet, Websites, macbook, iphone, also software eg. flash, illustrator, photoshop and even 3d animation" OP

That is where I balked. Frankly do not view these as "new media".
                    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Comment

What do you view as 'new media'?

Comment

It's diluted the skilled craftsman pool..
                        This also helps the best and most talented people to stand out more easily.

And in some situations, taking time off is beneficial to the design process, such as a logo as a part of a lengthy brand redevelopment. Some people call it stepping back, others say you should 'sleep on it' etc.

New tech is having more, newer and more efficient tools. A graphic designer should know which tools to apply and in how much force. It's like a child who gets more and more lego every christmas, but still doesn't understand how to build structurally stable lego buildings - no matter what lego bits he gets or how much he gets.

:3

Comment

The emergence of new media and technologies have broadened traditional design responsibilities and have allowed growth of new design markets. For example, with the recent growth of smart phone technology an app design market has emerged. Similarly the push toward smart phone web browsing has resulted in a need to not only design websites in consideration of desktops and laptops, but mobile devices.

Furthermore, new media has resulted in a need for designers to work with expanded tool set including technologies used to build end materials. The technology list can range from simple mark-up language (HTML) to more involved programming such as; JavaScript to deliver a website. Unlike the print world new media has resulted in the need for designers not only understand formal design, but the tools applicable to delivering a vision in the end format.

Lastly, new media has decreased the priority of fundamental, print base rules. For example, logos with effects that are impractical for print. On a whole less focus seems to be placed on rules concerning a printed environment when one onyl thinks they ever need to deal with screen re-production. Many times this results in need to recreate logos for print, when a screen format was only considered.
                          Last edited by tZ; 11-28-2010, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Excellent paper there tZ. Hope you both get an A.

Comment

I hope so to! – (crosses fingers)

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X