Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• B
    Comment on Graphic Design tutorials
    B
    It's sort of the Dadaist approach to design, I guess.
    Yesterday, 11:48 PM
  • B
    Reply to General Branding (Re-branding)
    B
    You're engaging in linear thinking and being too literal about it. If you've settled on working with the idea of "pride," keep in mind that it's an emotional state and not a physical thing....
    Yesterday, 11:40 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Graphic Design tutorials
    Buda
    The style reminds of cut and paste punk posters of the 1970s. I think the thing about those posters is they were kind of anti-design.
    Yesterday, 11:31 PM
  • Buda
    Comment on What do you want to know?
    Buda
    I think rabbits are going to be the next cats. You should do a series of videos about rabbits that are freelance graphic designers and the business issues they face.
    Yesterday, 11:29 PM
  • Buda
    Comment on What do you want to know?
    Buda
    I had that happen to me once in my life. I wasn't even dreaming. I couldn't replicate the situation again though. Maybe it was my unicorn.
    Yesterday, 11:28 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sessions College...recommended?

I'm looking into trying to get a design certificate via online courses, so far the best lead I've turned up is Sessions College. They seem to offer the fundamentals, their tuition rates are not terrifying and they offer financial aid. Since I put out feelers, however, their communications with me focus on how I can save money if I enroll this month, and give me the impression that they are almost giddy about the fact that I may sign up with them, which they express through words in all capitals with a lot of exclamation points.
    Has anybody had experience with this institution? If so, would you recommend it or, conversely, suggest I keep looking? Any pointers would be appreciated, or if anyone knows of any online colleges that they would endorse, I'd be interested in hearing of them as well. Thank you much.
    People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
    -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

I've never heard of this place, but I would be careful with any institute that runs themselves more like a business than a school. A business just wants your money through the door and after that, they couldn't care less about your education. See if you can talk to any of their graduates.

It sounds like your instincts are kicking in nicely though. So good luck with finding a happy graduate of theirs or at least another reputatable online school.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Thank you for the advice, I think I'll dig a little deeper before I commit to anything.
      People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
      -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

There must be a dozen colleges in Portland. Don't any offer certificate programs or online courses? While you may be able to get the basics from an online course, critiques and interaction with peers is better for the practical stuff.
        Is MECA too steep?

Comment

As far as I have been able to determine, MECA doesn't offer a certificate program (I did take night classes there in Graphic Design and Illustration), nor does U.S.M. Southern Maine Community College does offer some certificates, but I don't much like their program, which is something like "Communication and New Media."
          My main goal is really to get a piece of paper that will make sense to Human Resource Directors ("Oh, you have a piece of paper, I guess I can consider you human now."). I may go back into doing volunteer layout, and this time I'll try to see if I can sit in on the process when it goes to press, something I was always too shy to ask about the last time I did it. But, as far as paying work goes, you've gotta play the game to some degree, I just don't know that I can play it to a four-year degree.
          I'll look into the local colleges a little more thoroughly and see if I can find anything that fits my criteria. Thank you.
          -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Hi Nobert,

I don't know much about Maine's higher education, but do you guys have "community colleges" there. In Texas and many of the states I have lived there has been an alternative, community college or something like that. The reason I ask is that many of the community colleges here in Texas (in fact most) have now gone to adding certificate programs through online programs, other than their own program. For instance one of the local CC's here offers several online programs in graphic design or web design that focus mostly on the nuts and bolts of how the programs work, the basics of design, typography, different things like that. The packages are often a complete curriculmn from which you will recieve a certificate and many of them claim that you should be able to pass the profeciency tests on several of the programs, many of these course are very fast paced, but some of the programs allow you to take them more than once if for some reason you struggle. The advantage to me to taking them through the local college is that you can take campus courses to bolster the learning you getting....like print driver suggested...and you also get some assurances that the college has checked out the online courses for accrediation.

Check into something like that. I have been considering it, because I already have a fine arts degree, but I am behind in the area of software and internet technologies.

Comment

Thank you for the input. I have looked into Southern Maine Community College, because I know my roommate is getting a certificate in carpentry there. I wasn't able to tell whether they had a certificate program in G.D. though and, as I mentioned, the closest thing they offer is more like a communications degree, more about website development, whereas I am primarily interested in print.
              I was unclear on this, the only reason I'm searching for online courses is that my initial look at local colleges seemed to indicate that there wasn't anything of the type I wanted available in my neck of the woods, and moving to another state is really not something I want to do right now, for various real-life reasons. I should probably do a little more research into local options.
              Thank you all for the advice.
              -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Just stay away from the CCs in Castle Rock and Derry. Weird shit going on there.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Yeah, supposedly the Castle Rock Tourism Department has the highest employee turnover in the state. A thankless job for some reason.
                  -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                  Working...
                  X