• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quark to Indesign Conversion Guide

opens pdf
    http://www.adobe.com/products/indesi...ationguide.pdf

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Note: The link above starts an automatic download of a PDF.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Thanks Gar, I forgot to put that on it - it's on it now.

Comment

It does still call for Markzware's Q2ID which is worth every penny IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Pone View Post
          It does still call for Markzware's Q2ID which is worth every penny IMHO.
          From the actual document itself

Opening a QuarkXPress document may be efficient in the short run, but it is often better to re-create the document, making use of the unique features of InDesign, such as based-on master pages, nested styles, and object styles. Another option is to export the QuarkXPress file as a PDF and place each page of the PDF inside the InDesign document as a graphic.
          But Markzware is very handy when you are really in a pinch and I agree it's ace to have. Frankly I don't really want to rebuild a document from scratch. But I do believe it's a necessary evil in some cases. So bare in mind the quick way may not always be the best/efficient way.

But this is for people moving from Quark to InDesign and how InDesign works compared to what they are used to in Quark.

Like using Native file formats of AI and PDF as well as PSD and TIFF instead of illy eps and photoshop eps files etc.

Plus a plethora of other information.

If you've recently crossed the void from Quark to InDesign you should read this.

Comment

I went from Quark to InDesign with no problem. As long as there is some background in Illy and/or PS, it's pretty much seamless . But in my field I work with largely short term projects, so once they are done - it's over. The few I did have to re-create were a great learning tool.
            Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Comment

I too went from Quark to InDesign and it was no where near seamless, for me? I spent nearly 5 years using Illy, Photoshop and Quark in a prepress environment.

Moving to InDesign was a huge leap, both in terms of workflow with illy and ps, along with how things work in InDesign (like transparencies and colour management, pdf workflows etc. etc. etc.) (lest not forget about how master pages differ, layers, animation panels, pages, running head variables, nested styles, grep styles, line styles, numbered lists etc. etc. etc.

Yeh if you are used to Illy and PS you can get in and use InDesign no hassle. But learning to use it efficiently is another story.

Sure I got an InDesign file off an old buddy of mine whom I knew was still using Quark and was trying out InDesign. And sure enough the InDesign file came in with a Table drawn out with a frame behind it, and the lines drawn manually, and the text leading carefully spaced out. And none of this moved with the body copy, i.e., it wasn't even anchored.

There's using it and then there's using it.

Comment

To be honest ET - Yeah. I never learned how to use Quark correctly and to my benefit.
                From Eugene "(lest not forget about how master pages differ, layers, animation panels, pages, running head variables, nested styles, grep styles, line styles, numbered lists etc. etc. etc." Didn't know the how (or the value) of using these things then and don't know now. I have never used the layer function in InDesign (or any of the other options mentioned in your statement) - I don't even understand how that would be valuable to me. So I guess the migration was easy 'cause I didn't know anything from the get-go.

I do know I love to be able to copy from AI or PS into InDesign. That's my grasp. A run to the book store may be in order.
                Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Purtybluz View Post
                  I do know I love to be able to copy from AI or PS into InDesign. That's my grasp. A run to the book store may be in order.
                  That's exactly what not to do. NEVER do this. Use FIle>Place

If you're looking for books get Sandy Cohen's Quickstart Guide (it's a beginners book but it will get you into excellent efficient workflow habits and it's only $25 or something?)

For something a bit more substantial check out Real World series of books (Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign) I'd start with the Indesign version. This will stand as a "bible" to look up things on a need-be basis. It's an excellent resource.

Another wonderful book is Michael Murphy's InDesign Styles

When you really start to use the features within InDesign to it's full advantage you'll kick yourself as to why you didn't do it earlier.

I still open files I did last year and say "Why did I do it that way when this way is far quicker and more flexible?"

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X