Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kiwikat07
    Reply to Seeking critiques
    kiwikat07
    Okay, I found a one-color option that I'm pleased with using a dot pattern in Illustrator. I will check with the decal company and see if they are able to render the dots. I would think so....
    Today, 12:32 AM
  • kiwikat07
    Comment on Seeking critiques
    kiwikat07
    Hi Kayekaye! Yes, I agree. Black-only is seemingly less needed these days. Ironically, in this case I really will need a one-color option because we will be doing some window decals! (For example: ht...
    Today, 12:10 AM
  • garricks
    Comment on Happy Last Friday of July!!!!
    garricks
    Ain't that the truth!

Additionally it's been unseasonably cool so far this summer. We've only been in the 90s a few times. Tomorrow we're due to hit 99 in the afternoon, with a heat index...
    Yesterday, 11:18 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of July!!!!
    PrintDriver
    Happy Friday.
    It's been a nice quiet July for a change. Too bad it's over so quickly. Why does the slide into winter never take as long as the slide into spring?...
    Yesterday, 10:14 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Happy Last Friday of July!!!!
    PrintDriver
    Just clicky the little arrow next to the "Originally posted by..." line. Takes you right to it.
    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Learning ... What's a good GD Tool?

Hi Guys,
    So I'm not very rooted in Graphic Design. Most of the webpage design that I've done has been more scripting / server side. A while ago I worked with Photoshop but that was a long while back. Right now all that I'm really aware of are the larger products like Adobe Photoshop and/or the Open Source GIMP. Are there any other choices out there? Whether they be better, free, or just your personal favorite?

Thanks!

For photo editing Adobe Photoshop is THE program for sure.
    GIMP is the closest comparable that is free. But it has maybe 10% of the functionality.

Otherwise there is Adobe Illustrator, Freehand and Corel Draw, which are all more vector based programs. You would use them to create illustrations and designs.

And then of course layout based programs are Adobe InDesign, Quark (and maybe Corel Draw again). These are meant to layout print based products, but you could theoretically do a web design mock-up in InDesign if you really wanted.

End of the day, if you need to build graphics for web pages I'd recommend Photoshop for your photos, Illustrator for your vectors. You just can't beat Adobe products IMO.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

I wouldnt waste my time with GIMP, go buy photoshop ASAP!

Comment

Well, since the topic was brought up...
        I've been trying to find out, what is the big deal with Photoshop (all Adobe products, really)? My experience with Photoshop is pretty limited. I got trained in the basics away back in '98, and the last time I used it, about a year ago, it just seemed as though they had added a lot more bells and whistles. But, I don't use these things for the kind of serious, advanced stuff that most people here probably do.

If it's not too much trouble, could anyone take the time to explain, in relatively layman's terms, why Photoshop is so superior, to say, GIMP? The one thing I am aware of is that GIMP doesn't support C.M.Y.K., which is a reasonable issue if you're hoping to see something you do put in printers' ink on paper. Other than that, from my limited perspective I just don't see much difference between the two, and I'm curious as to why this software is something that's worth spending two months' rent for, once you get up to professional usage with it. It's something I'd be grateful to know for future reference.
        People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
        -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

^ Nobert what are you using GIMP for?
          Just to open photos and crop them?
          Cause quite frankly that is about all it can do besides maybe colour correct a little bit.

Not working in CMYK is a MAJOR issue at a design agency. We always want to be in control of our colours as much as possible, and most of my printers won't accept files unless they are CMYK exclusively.

Photoshop is THE tool. All Adobe products are THE tools. If you are truly unaware of why then I think you need some serious GD education. Sorry but you can't do even 2% of what needs to get done at a standard GD job without Adobe products. (or at least not properly or well).
          I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Gimp lacks in some areas especially around non destructive editing. That's where the original content does not get modified in the course of editing the pixels, but the edits themselves get edited. And GIMP is very unstable on OS X which is fair enough as it wasn't built for that.

All in all GIMP is an ok substitute but as a replacement for a professional tool like Photoshop it just doesn't cut it. Although you can do most tasks with GIMP that Photoshop can do, Photoshop just does them better.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Audentia, I'm not disagreeing, I'm just trying to get a basic idea of why Photoshop/Adobe is is better. I certainly accept the C.M.Y.K. barrier as making GIMP not practicable for professional printing.

The idea of purchasing C.S. anything is utterly out of the question for me for the foreseeable future. I know there's a lot of stuff I don't know, and I'm trying to define the scope of my ignorance.

A few weeks on the G.D.F. convinced me I'm never going to be a Graphic Designer in the way it's usually understood, but I'm still interested in this field in some capacity, and defining my goals involves knowing what can and can't be done with various tools, and where to focus my energies in learning.

Gimp lacks in some areas especially around non destructive editing. That's where the original content does not get modified in the course of editing the pixels, but the edits themselves get edited. And GIMP is very unstable on OS X which is fair enough as it wasn't built for that. -EugeneTyson
              That's the kind of information I was asking for, thanks.
              People will believe anything, which means I will believe anythingI want to start believing in things that have shapeliness and harmony.
              -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobert View Post
                Audentia, I'm not disagreeing, I'm just trying to get a basic idea of why Photoshop/Adobe is is better. I certainly accept the C.M.Y.K. barrier as making GIMP not practicable for professional printing.
                Adobe products are the industry standard for professional desktop publishing and graphic design. Also Quark for layout but I haven't been a fan since v.4.
                Why? They've been around since publishing came to computers. Do they have a monopoly? Yes. But what're gonna do? Use Publisher and have all the other Graphic Designers point and laugh at you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pone View Post
                  Use Publisher and have all the other Graphic Designers point and laugh at you?

blog/portfolio

Comment

^lmao

Comment

This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Well, if Publisher could do what I wanted/needed it to for a specific project, and in the increasingly unlikely event I could find a printer who would accept a .pub file, yes I'd use it, despite its annoyances.
                        People have been pointing and laughing at me since grade school and, not being possessed of psychic powers, there wasn't much I could do but suck it up and learn to take it. I know, you were basically kidding, but insomuch as there were grains of truth to it, it's a non-issue.

We pardon this interruption, and now return you to your regularly scheduled screen shots of Carrie. (That's kidding too, by the way.)
                        -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Comment

Most printers accept Publisher files now, they feel dirty doing it but they do it.
                          I've never had any use for Publisher because I own Quark and InDesign, so I'm unfamiliar with it.

Comment

Please stay away from Quark... If I can turn one designer away from Quark everyday the world will be a better place... That software is a nightmare...
                            Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artist View Post
                              Please stay away from Quark... If I can turn one designer away from Quark everyday the world will be a better place... That software is a nightmare...
                              I still see job ads online requiring knowledge of Quark. I wish they would just understand that GD schools don't teach Quark any more. Why would I buy and learn an extra program when the Creative Suit that I spent good money on pretty much does everything?
                              "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
                              -Steve Jobs

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X